Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Mar 11, 2015, 06:42 PM
    Adults and Vaccinations
    With all the news about measles outbreaks in North America caused by idiot anti-vaxxers, I was wondering if adults are at risk. I'm in my mid 30s and got all the required vaccinations when I was a kid because thankfully, my parents had common sense. I also remember getting some kind of booster shot in high school when I was about 16, but I can't remember what specific diseases it was for, I can't remember back that far. Are people like me safe for life or do we have to get some other kind of shots to be safe in the future? I'm sure glad I don't have a job where I'm around kids.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 11, 2015, 07:02 PM
    You should have a blood test to see if you are immune for rubella. If you are not immune, you will need a MMR.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 12, 2015, 03:18 AM
    There have been many outbreaks of measles in Ontario, following this, all healthcare workers need to take the bloodtest to prove immunity, if not immune then vaccination is advised.

Rubella is called the 3-day measles and is caused by a different virus then the more severe measles which has a downtime of 30 days.
    Expert

Mar 12, 2015, 04:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    There have been many outbreaks of measles in Ontario, following this, all healthcare workers need to take the bloodtest to prove immunity, if not immune then vaccination is advised.

Rubella is called the 3-day measles and is caused by a different virus then the more severe measles which has a downtime of 30 days.
    If one is non-immune to rubella after having the series of childhood vaccinations, it stands to reason that they are also non-immune to measles and mumps, therefore a repeat MMR is required.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 12, 2015, 09:27 AM
    But what are the odds of being not immune?

If you are 35, and had the first series 34 years ago, and the second just before kindergarten (not the booster), then it seems like a burden on the system to get tested.
    The mumps, measles, and rubella vaccines were combined in 1971 to become the MMR. The second dose is to produce immunity in the 2–5% who fail to develop measles immunity after the first dose.
    Expert

Mar 12, 2015, 10:48 AM
    Joy, the odds are actually quite high. I don't have an actual percentage, but my Moms are tested for rubella because it is easier and cheaper to test for than measles or mumps. Many are found non-immune. I, myself, was found non-immune when I tested for my profession and had to undergo the series of vaccinations again.
    Expert

Mar 12, 2015, 12:01 PM
    I am having my blood test next week. It was adviseable by my employer. I don't care about the odds, it has to be done as a safeguard for myself and any clients I am working with. If necessary I will have the vaccine.
    Expert

Mar 12, 2015, 12:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    If one is non-immune to rubella after having the series of childhood vaccinations, it stands to reason that they are also non-immune to measles and mumps, therefore a repeat MMR is required.
    The point is here in ontario, as we all had to have childhood vaccinations before attending school, and a record kept by parents from the health dept. no one who is over 70 remembers and the cards are long gone, so... blood test to guarantee immunity and if not vaccination. That is what we have been to do and that is what will happen. I can't afford 30 days off work if I happen to contract measles from a client.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2015, 03:07 PM
    Just to add, you may want to check into having a Td booster if needed. Perhaps flu, and pneumonia and hep B... especially depending on your age and certain health conditions such as diabetes. Your doctor can go over what you might want to have titer tests for and boosters if recommended. You can discuss your own individual situation.
    Expert

Mar 12, 2015, 03:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    Just to add, you may want to check into having a Td booster if needed. Perhaps flu, and pneumonia and hep B... especially depending on your age and certain health conditions such as diabetes. Your doctor can go over what you might want to have titer tests for and boosters if recommended. You can discuss your own individual situation.
    If you mean me, then yes, I protect myself and my homecare clients by being up to date on everything. Before visiting a new client we are made aware of their diagnoses and are cautioned if we need PPE protection. We follow all procedures.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2015, 03:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    If you mean me, then yes, I protect myself and my homecare clients by being up to date on everything. Before visiting a new client we are made aware of their diagnoses and are cautioned if we need PPE protection. We follow all procedures.
    Oh, I was suggesting it to earl as more ideas to discuss with his doctor. I figured you would be up on all of them with your type of work tickle... :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vaccinations for travel [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I Am living in Korea. I am travelling to Thailand for two weeks on January 19th 2013. Before coming to Korea I got vaccinations from my local doctor at home in January 2012. The injections I received were Viatim (Hepatitis A and Typhoid) and Revaxis (Tetanus). I am wondering if it is necessary...

Puppy vaccinations [ 8 Answers ]

I've had three different answers. Two different ones from vets. I have a 5 week old orghan lab. Can she be given a 5 way puppy shot now instead of at 6 weeks? Vets here have different opinions. Sometimes a good breeder knows best. She's been off her MOM since 4 weeks of age.

Cat Vaccinations [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter just had to have her 2-year-old (previously healthy 23-pound) cat put to sleep. He was fine until she took him in two weeks ago to have a physical. They gave him distemper and rabies shots. Two days later he became lethargic, refused to eat and was just generally not himself. He spent...

How important are vaccinations? [ 30 Answers ]

Okay, for all you dog experts. When I took my puppy boy to the vet for Rabies and Parvo, the doctor really pushed other vaccinations. I am curious if these are necessary for an indoor dog. He only goes outside to potty, for walks, and car rides, any other time he is in the house. I don't really...

Puppy Vaccinations in UK [ 1 Answers ]

Here puppies have 2 vaccinations about 2-3 weeks apart. So do they both contain the same ingredients and in the same amounts or not?

View more questions Search