Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leecx1004 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2015, 08:53 AM
    Immigration and Tax Related Issues
    My dad is petitioning for his brother (my uncle) and by default, his family (my cousins & aunt). My cousin is over 21 as a result of aging out, but the petition was filed before she turned 21. Next year, she has to file as an independent on her tax return, because she no longer qualifies for dependent child/relative on my uncle's return. Will this affect her status as a child of my uncle for the petition purposes? Will she still be able to obtain a permanent resident card/apply for green card when/if the petition for my uncle gets approved?
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Mar 10, 2015, 10:53 AM
    No. Whether someone is a dependent for taxes has nothing to do with being a child for immigration purposes. The latter just has to do with age.

Note that just because the petition was filed before she was 21 does not mean she does not age out. The time the petition was pending will be subtracted from her age. But the time the petition was pending will still be many years shorter than the wait time for a visa number to become available for the F4 category, which is currently almost 13 years for most countries.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 10, 2015, 11:03 AM
    ... My cousin is over 21 as a result of aging out ...
    What does "aging out" mean? In other words, she is over the age of 21? If that's what you mean, the "aging out" part is redundant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ask immigration related questions [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I have 4 years 9 months of experience in Information Technology and I have Bachelor of Engineering degree(4 years) in Computer Science. I am planning to join a new company in 2 weeks and they have promised me that they can process my GC under EB-2 once I have 5 years of experience....

General Tax Query related to Federal and State Tax and Filing Status. [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Married Indian resident. I had visited US in 2006 twice on H1B. I have never been to US earlier. Period of Visit: March 2006-April2006 approx 44 Days - Income from NY. Stayed in NJ August 2006 – Sept 2006 approx 32 Days. - Income from NJ. Stayed in NJ My company paid the salary...

Immigration Issues [ 2 Answers ]

I came to the us illegally. According to my mother my dad and her had work permits given to them by political asylum. She told me that back in 1998 she applied for me to be a resident and I received a letter with my social security number and a court date. Since my parents separated and went...

Immigration related question [ 1 Answers ]

I am on a work visa from past 1 year(L1B). I was given a ticket for Misdemeanor 10 months ago (in San francisco,CA)and was asked to attend a Training program (FOPP) in lieu of prosecution. (Note: I was NOT taken to court as this was my very first offense that led me in contact with criminal ...

Are are plumbing issues/concerns related? [ 2 Answers ]

We renovated our home last summer (2007); renovated the main-bathroom with new fixtures (sink, tub, shower, toilet, etc.); renovated the kitchen with all new cabinetry, and appliances, including a dishwasher and garbage disposal, both of which we did not have in our kitchen before the renovation. ...

View more questions Search