Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cswin32 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2015, 07:47 PM
    Help with low frequency pulsating hum
    Once or twice a day I hear a low frequency pulsating hum. Sounds mechanical. Sometimes it does not pulsate. It can last briefly or for as long as 5-10 minutes. Whether the water is on or not. It's inly been happening the last couple of weeks. Mostly during the day. We narrowed the source to an area between two bathrooms and under our second has furnace upstairs. And only heard here. Help
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 7, 2015, 05:18 PM
    Please explain again, "an area between two bathrooms and under our second has furnace upstairs."

I would guess the furnace. How about the fridge? Mine hums in two tones, and I hear it best in the bathroom next to the kitchen, more so than when I'm in the kitchen.

Mar 8, 2015, 01:42 PM
    We actually figured it out. When my neighbor uses her washing machine on the filling tub and when the water is drained we hear the distinct noises. It's only been the last 2-3 weeks. Her house rattles and mine is picking up noise and vibrations through city pipes.

City and plumber are coming out to see where in her line the problem is.
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2015, 06:12 PM
    Is this, by any chance, a duplex, townhome, or condo? If it is two separate structures, I can't imagine the sound traveling between them in the city pipes.

Mar 9, 2015, 03:41 PM
    It is in fact two separate houses. But only separated by 50 ft. City was out today and said that he couldn't detect any issues outside but believes their pressure regulator valve is broken.

I know, he agreed he didn't think we should either. But I can tell by the length of sound and whether it pulsates if she's flushing, running dishwasher or washing machine. Never happens in shower or faucets. She was gone all day, I heard the noise for about 5-8 sec and texted her if she was home. She said yes just flushed and asked "Did you have noise" to which I replied yes.
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2015, 06:09 PM
    WOW! This has to be one for the books. Please keep us up to speed as to how this plays out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low frequency vibrating hum, on and off, on and off [ 2 Answers ]

A thread with this problem has been closed. See https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbing/mysterious-humming-noise-house-55517-11.html In case the problem is continuing with others, I want to report our experience. We live in central London, on the fifth floor of a modern reinforced concrete frame...

The fan is not coming on in the ac/heating unit, and there is a low hum, also [ 0 Answers ]

Rheem ac/heating unit The fan is not coming on, and there is a low hum in the unit. We checked all the circuits in the breaker box and found which one the unit is connected to. Is there a restart button to get it going again?

Have a constant low frequency hum in the house. Can't find the source. [ 11 Answers ]

I have also been going crazy with a low frequency hum in the house. I am a shift worker, so on days when I am sleeping during the day, the hum is just as bad as when I am trying to sleep at night, although when I am up I would swear that its worse at night. I have turned off everything in the...

Low frequency whistle from baseboard [ 8 Answers ]

I recently added radiant flooring under my kitchen. All I did was remove a hot water baseboard and added this in the same loop. It added 200 feet of pipe to zone 1. I used the vapor barrier pex tubing. Now not right away but two weeks later I had my furnace cleaned. A week after I started hearing...

Low-Pitch Pulsating Noise [ 4 Answers ]

For the last 3 weeks I've lost sleep due to a pulsating, low-pitch noise that sounds like it's coming from my neighbor's area where his pool equipment, propane tank and? Are located. It's a fenced area. We live on acre lots. At first I thought it was my septic system and I've had that checked...

View more questions Search