Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    uniden54 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 07:37 PM
    Credit card debt and proprty liens
    I received a letter from an attorney today stating that if my credit card debt is not resolved or I do not respond to their letter in 30 days they will begin proceedings to take a lien on my home, which is only a 2 bedroom mobile home that is over 15 years old and a small piece of property< 1 acre, this is not even paid for and is financed with my local bank, can they actually do this?:confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 9, 2007, 07:59 PM
    Actually it is obvoius they have not checked what your property is,

But in general what they do if you don't pay a legal debt is sue you and get a judgement, once they have a judgement they can garnish your wages ( which is what they will really want to do, they want money, not a lien) ** in states where they can garnish, or they can attach your checking or savings account.

About the last thing they want to do is place a lien on your property, since they can not force a sale, the lien just sits there until you try to sell the property, or you die and the estate tries to clear up the deed.
    So they may have to wait 30 years to get their money with a lien.

Also a trailer is normally on a title, like a car, so only the property is actually on the deed.

This is a common threat, don't be surpised if they don't call and threaten to put you in jail, to take your car, even have the mafia come after you, they will try and scare you anyway they can, to try and make you pay
    ATYOURSERVICE Posts: 246, Reputation: 13

Apr 10, 2007, 09:15 PM
    I agree with fr-chuck, but was wondering what is up with all these people asking what collection agencies can and cannot do instead of paying their bills? The questions can be avoided. Pay your bills people.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

Hi When my ex-boyfriend and I split up we had some credit cards together which we split among us and we agreed to take each others name off the cards we each took. Yeah right!! He had started paying it through credit counselling but one day claimed bankruptcy, because my name was still on the...

Old credit card debt [ 5 Answers ]

I am scheduled for a hearing in local court concerning 2 credit accounts march 27(tomorrow). I filed my notice for intent to defend with the court last week and the lawyer suing me called last Friday and also sent correspondence stating that we could work this out to avoid court. Now I do not know...

Credit Card Debt [ 4 Answers ]

My Mother is 85 and in poor health. She has about $30,000.00 in credit card debt. Due to increased medical bills, perscriptions and her mobil home rent increase she is not able to pay these bills. She has no assets, and her only income is her SS monthly check. Several credit card companies have...

Liens and credit card debt [ 3 Answers ]

I've been reading some of the letters and there seems to be no definitive answer as to whether credit card companies --to which you owe money (unsecured debt) --can put a lien against bank accounts, housing etc. I talked to the manager at my credit union recently. She said that only government...

Credit card debt [ 20 Answers ]

Can a credit card company clam from your house ?

View more questions Search