Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jennymn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2015, 10:13 AM
    Abandonment
    How would I go about filing for abandonment for my daughter. Her father hasn't had anything to do with her for the last thirteen years. I have gotten child support in the past but as of now its been years. He doesn't pay for anything or try to help pay for anything ever. He just keeps having kids.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 6, 2015, 11:17 AM
    "Abandonment", would in most places be a crime; leaving a child without any adult supervision. Failure to pay child support is something else. If a child support order is in place, you get the court to enforce it. If not, get one.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 6, 2015, 11:35 AM
    What do you think filing for abandonment will get you? As noted, Abandonment is a criminal charge when a child is left without adult supervision. So filing for abandonment is not likely to get you anything. So what is it you really want here? Do you want to collect child support or what?
    jennymn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2015, 11:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    What do you think filing for abandonment will get you? As noted, Abandonment is a criminal charge when a child is left without adult supervision. So filing for abandonment is not likely to get you anything. So what is it you really want here? Do you want to collect child support or what?

No I cant get him to pay his ordered child support.. I'm trying to figure out how to take all his rights away from him.. so how would I do all of that then because he won't sign anything..

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Im trying to get all his rights taken away.. he has had nothing to do with my child for the last thirteen years
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 6, 2015, 12:09 PM
    Im trying to get all his rights taken away.. he has had nothing to do with my child for the last thirteen years
    If he has had nothing to do with the child, (in the immortal words of H. Clinton) "what difference, at this point, does it make?" Taking away rights he doesn't use isn't going to affect anything. And the threatened loss of those rights is unlikely to faze him in the least.

Not to mention that child support and visitation usually don't depend on each other. The fact that he isn't paying, in general is not a reason to terminate his visitation rights.

But if your money is eating a hole in your pocket, and you want to spend it on a lawyer, have at it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 6, 2015, 04:51 PM
    As AK said, if he isn't exercising his rights, then what difference does it make? A court is not going to terminate his rights. There are some stickies at the top of this forum that discuss these issues.

Is there court ordered visitation in place? Do you have full legal and physical custody? And remember she is not just your child, she is his as well. For better or worse he is the biological father. That counts for something in a court of law. By trying to have his rights taken away, you may be opening a can of worms.

So, again I ask, if he is not exercising his rights, why try to take them away?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 6, 2015, 04:58 PM
    Have you ever tried to enforce your child support order?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 6, 2015, 08:50 PM
    A few states, if he does not pay child support, you can see if the DA will take away his drivers license, Georgia and Tennessee I know may put the man in jail for being very late in child support.

But it will take you taking him back to court and back to court for failure to pay.
    Have you asked for a garnishment of his pay?

But as noted, even getting him put in jail will not take away his rights, Even non payment of child support and not visiting normally is not enough to take away rights.

But if he is not visiting, and if he is not ever there, and not pay, why does it matter, he is not using any of his rights anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Abandonment [ 1 Answers ]

My cousin left her kids with my mom is that a crime she has not made any contact

Abandonment [ 1 Answers ]

My soon to be ex-husband hasn't seen our two boys or helped out with ANY exspenses let alone child support in the past year and a half. Has enough time lapsed where abandonment will be seen in court?

Abandonment [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is 19 with a four month old son. She lives with me and her father. We as grandparents take care of him mostly. My question is that how long does my daughter have to be gone in order for it to be considered abandonment. If she states that she will be home at a certain time and doesn't...

Abandonment in NC [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know how to file for abandonment in NC. Also I have filed for child support because he has not helped or been there in almost 2 years and my daughter is 3 but he keeps getting it put off over and over again so please if someone knows how to file for abandonment in North Carolina please...

Abandonment [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I live in Georgia and I am raising my 2 sons there father hasn't seem them in 3 yrs how do I file abandonment charges he lives in Chicago

View more questions Search