Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    semiramis78 Posts: 43, Reputation: 4

Mar 5, 2015, 05:31 AM
    Online dating LDR
    Hi everyone, I start with the fact that I am 36, had a few past relationships, I am successful in my job and have lived in different countries, so I am experienced and sociable & pretty, but when it comes to relationships I'm not good. What happens generally is that I don't feel chemistry with most guys so I don't go on a second date…

Last month I met a guy on a dating website. He has studied the same field as myself and he seemed to be decent. We live in two different countries, 2 hours flight. After 35 short messages and emails we decided to meet in a third country. We met and it was a very good experience. I never felt anything like that before when I meet someone, but this time it was different. I really liked him and at the end of the evening we hold hands and we even kissed. The next day we had a great day too he kissed my eyes and he was looking at me constantly which was a good sign (I guess) and we end up being together that night (we had a great night and great next morning), which is very strange for me (I am very cautious in initial stages of a relationship). And the third day we kissed and left to our own countries.

When we arrived home, he texted me and said that he had a great time and he feels confused and lost and doesn't know what to do. I was feeling the same. I liked him, but he was far away and it was upsetting... he mentioned that he like to see me again and we plan for next meeting soon. The day after he said he needs to think to know what he really wants to do with his current job, and he has to find out within himself … I should mention that even before we meet he was talking about thinking what he want to do as a dream job and he may want to change field of his work (which can be a big change). A few days ago I mentioned that I am going to a business trip and I will pass by his city, so I can stop to see him a few hours if he wants, and he said that it is a nice idea and I stay at least a night because airport is far. After this I wanted to talk to him to see when he will be free (a day) and asked him to talk , I had one missed call from him, and after that I sent him a text message that I missed his call.

Now its been a few days (2-3 days) that he hasn't contacted me at all not responded to my last message (it was just a “how are you”). Now the question is, should I really wait for him? Do you see a potential relationship here? I know I am emotional now, sometimes very positive and sometimes very negative, that's why I can not judge it myself… what do you think?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 5, 2015, 05:46 AM
    There could be many reasons for not being available to call for a couple of days. Or worst case, he is home with wife and not available. (sorry to say that) but about 1/2 of the men on dating sites are married and merely use that to find other women to sleep with.

The issue is at the end of the day, the distance and where this could end. Perhaps just sex partners very few months ?

Or would or even could, one of you, give up their careers to move to the country of the other?

Mar 5, 2015, 05:52 AM
    Well, I am sure he is single,
    And I don't mind to move somewhere else as far as I know he wants the same.. I can find a job easily in any big city... just this situation is so confusing.. Or is it me being a drama queen about it... I hate it about myself being so sensitive and emotional :(
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 5, 2015, 06:13 AM
    You have been down this road before, how did you handle that situation?

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relati...rt-708921.html

New relationships always have potential for more, but it's a bad idea to get to caught up in the intensity of them in the early stages that you push to hard because of thrills, and high hopes, and are to eager for more. Relax and see what happens, and have fun with the experience, but keep it real within yourself.

You will see things better later, after the lust, and thrills, and high hopes, and intense feelings have settled into a reality you understand. You don't sit and wait for him though, you live your life as you always have before you met him, and carry on exploring, and experimenting with all your other options, and opportunities and not be stuck on this latest one that has bogged down for whatever reason.

Despite all the feelings you have Ms. Sensitive, its still in the casual new dating stages. Relax and see what happens.

Mar 5, 2015, 06:25 AM
    Hi tala, I know! And you find that out straight away! How embarrassing! :))) with that one I was patient. He proposed last June but I felt I didn't like him enough (after I became intimate with him, I didn't like the whole idea) so I broke the engagement after a few months. And maybe that's why I let it happen this time and spend the night with this guy when I felt like it (so quickly)... last time my mistake was that we didn't meet each other that many times before he proposed. This time he is more like myself, feels like we can be best friends and we enjoy similar things... yes I should relax and see what happens... I just don't like that idea that I am being fooled.. this makes me upset.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Mar 5, 2015, 06:39 AM
    Well you don't really know him and he could have a girlfriend. He could do this kind of thing often or he can be a nice guy and just busy. At any rate, don't get all wrapped up with this guy you don't really know but had a pleasant connection with.
    Go on with your day to day life and he will contact you again if interested. Don't get fixated on this stranger.
    Expert

Mar 5, 2015, 06:48 AM
    I just don't like that idea that I am being fooled.. this makes me upset.
    You may feel that way but you really don't know that is the case. Its possible, sure, but why assume and be upset when you can just relax, and deal with facts, and not just feelings. You have his name, run a background check. Seems that's what anyone would do who uses a dating site.

Mar 5, 2015, 07:46 AM
    I have done that, and he seems to be a decent person.
    Expert

Mar 5, 2015, 08:14 AM
    Decent doesn't mean compatible for the long run.

Mar 12, 2015, 09:10 AM
    OK he contacted me again and I responded but haven't talked about when to meet next? And he doesn't call even though I mentioned that I prefer hearing him.
    How long should I wait for him for the next move ? After waiting should I contact him and talk? Or I just move on without mentioning anything? We met mid February and until now we have been texting. I should add that he is in the process of changing job and not in the best financial situation (as I felt).
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Mar 12, 2015, 05:26 PM
    I'd say get on with your life. Leave him alone. If he wants to contact you he will.
    Expert

Mar 13, 2015, 03:23 AM
    Why wait for him to do anything? You should be exploring your own options and doing your thing and not be stuck waiting for someone to give you the time of day. You definitely don't want to be chasing such a busy secretive fellow.

You never know what the future holds, but things happen when they do, and the way they do naturally so why force anything?

Keep doing your own thing.

Mar 13, 2015, 03:46 AM
    That's the thing, I don't like to look like a girl sitting there waiting for him to decide for me, I'm quite annoyed actually :( and when he texts me I don't know how to react. So far I was cool about it all... inside me I am not feeling cool at all...
    Expert

Mar 13, 2015, 04:24 AM
    Don't try and be cool, just be honest with him, and yourself first. I would say "HI, and what the hell's up with YOU?". Then go about my business and doing my thing.

Why trip on what you don't know, and play the assume, presume game, when you can ask directly? Why worry about what he thinks of you, when you don't know what he is thinking period? You met him online, you can meet others, so don't get stuck. He is doing nothing to you, or for you, so what's the big deal here?

I wouldn't stop exploring and experimenting with other options because of him, FOR SURE! Dating is having fun getting to know each other, NOT engaging in drama, intrigue, and confusion. RIGHT?

Are you having fun with him? Be honest with yourself, and act accordingly.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 13, 2015, 05:03 AM
    The worst thing you can do is appear to needy. That is the way you appear to me. Why agonize over this though. After all he is at a 2 hour distance and from the brief time you were with him you can't possibly know him. Married men are experts at hiding their true nature when they are on the prowl and have found a willing victim.

Take this all with a grain of salt and move on. LDRs seldom work out. It takes two special people to make it work who have found the ultimate connection, with no doubts, absolute honesty and patience to make it work.

I recently tried a dating site and went in with my eyes wide open. The men could state anything they wanted to state, divorced, single, widowed, etc. Pictures were included but picfures of whom ? It was kind of creepy.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Mar 13, 2015, 01:46 PM
    Hey Tic, I am available lol. Picture later.
    Expert

Mar 14, 2015, 07:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by catonsville View Post
    Hey Tic, I am available lol. Picture later.
    Hey ! Okay, you got a deal ! If you are a male member here, I would not have a problem with that !

Tick

Mar 14, 2015, 10:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Hey ! Okay, you got a deal ! If you are a male member here, I would not have a problem with that !

Tick
    Hmmm, this is getting serious. :) When do you want the wedding? We have to move fast, I am not getting any younger.
    Expert

Mar 15, 2015, 04:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by catonsville View Post
    Hmmm, this is getting serious. :) When do you want the wedding? We have to move fast, I am not getting any younger.
    Let me think about this a minute. I don't do anything without a prenup and a doctor"s report! Ah, love on AMHD!

Mar 15, 2015, 05:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Let me think about this a minute. I don't do anything without a prenup and a doctor"s report! Ah, love on AMHD!
    I go along with the doctor's report but not sure who benefits from the prenup?
    Maybe " Ask Me Help Desk" should be renamed "Help Me To Do It"! Sorry Tic, but this
    will have to be put on hold until I finish my Taxes for 2014.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Online dating [ 20 Answers ]

I meet a guy on myspace and he told me I can come visit him in California whenever? Should I go for it ? I know he has 1 picture on his page... Is there any safety steps I should take... I will be staying at his house and he will pay for my ticket thanks

Want to try online dating, but What to do if None of dating sites have enough locals? [ 4 Answers ]

I never had a GF. I want to try online dating but the sites I've seen only have like 5 women from my city and not my type. That's dumb. Why would I sign up to sites that have no one from my city.

Online not-quite-really-dating [ 47 Answers ]

So my friend iintroduced me to this guy friend of hers via fb. He's at a military academy currently and has restricted communication abilities. We talk via Facebook alll the time. He broke the rules once, and video chatted me, and he was granted phone privileges for tonight and is using it as an...

Online dating? [ 2 Answers ]

My friend, she likes this guy named brandon. They met over Myspace. And he also likes her back. She told me about him asking her out, and she told me she said yes. I have nothing against him. But what do YOU think about online dating? Me and her both know he's real, she's talked him on the phone. ...

Online dating [ 31 Answers ]

Anyone experience with meeting someone after talking to them for months? The aniticipation?

View more questions Search