Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amber8917 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2015, 05:46 PM
    Conflict
    If I work for one company doing maintence and I go to a competitors business to do side work doing the same things is it unethical?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 4, 2015, 05:54 PM
    It depends.
    1. What do you mean by maintenance? Computers or buildings/grounds?
    2. Do you have a contract that says you can't?
    3. Will you be too tired to do either job as well as you did the one job?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 4, 2015, 06:34 PM
    I would call that a conflict of interest no matter what it is. Yes, unethical in your words. You have to be loyal to one if they are paying you.
    amber8917 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2015, 06:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    It depends.
    1. What do you mean by maintenance? Computers or buildings/grounds?
    2. Do you have a contract that says you can't?
    3. Will you be too tired to do either job as well as you did the one job?

1. Working on machines like cleaning them and oiling them
    2. No contract as far as competition
    3. No not tired at all still preform as well as I always have at my first job.

This is just a side job to help support my family
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Mar 4, 2015, 10:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I would call that a conflict of interest no matter what it is. Yes, unethical in your words. You have to be loyal to one if they are paying you.
    Really, pretty broad brush.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 4, 2015, 10:20 PM
    If the main place of work, is aware and approves of you working the second job, and is aware it is for the other company, there is no problem. It is only a ethics issues if it is all done in secret.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 5, 2015, 05:24 AM
    I disagree that it is a conflict of interest. That would only be so if you have knowledge of proprietary information about the machines.
    I disagree that you need to tell your first employer. You don't have a contract prohibiting work elsewhere.

Based on what you have said, I believe that the answer is that the second job is ethical and that no one needs to know.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 5, 2015, 06:56 AM
    There is no conflict, nor is it unethical to work a second job, nor a need to disclose working a second job, unless it's prohibited in writing.

Millions have 2 and 3 jobs to make ends meet.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 5, 2015, 07:04 AM
    Just to make sure, The main company you work for is not in the business of doing maintenance, you just work for them doing maintenance on their machines.

If that is the case, then the only ethical issue would be if you passed along info about one company to the other or did anything that would give one competitor and advantage over the other.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Conflict. [ 4 Answers ]

My girl and I just broke up. We have a new born baby and we live together paying half on everything. She recently told me that the feelings aren't there anymore so were roommates now. The big problem is she talking to a new guy already and I can tell she really likes him. Normally I would let her...

Ip conflict [ 5 Answers ]

HI How do I get to know the mac address of conflicting ip address? Thanks

Ex Conflict [ 28 Answers ]

Ok, so my girlfriend and I have been broken up for about a month and two weeks. We talk from time to time. I broke up with her, and there's been a lot of drama. The thing is, part of me knows that I would be happier with someone else later in life. However, the other part of me thinks that her and...

Possible ip conflict [ 5 Answers ]

I am connected to a wireless network some 500 meters distant using a wireless pci adapter with an external antenna. My system is windows xp professional 'new' edition. I originally set this up using a qpcom wireless pci adapter 802.11g. Due to the weak signal that I received, I changed the...

IP conflict ? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I've a LAN with a DC, it seems that someone has changed the IP address of his computer to be static, and it seems also that he assigned an IP address like the server one 192.168.123.2. The problem is that, I do receive an error message on the server console stating that there's an...

View more questions Search