Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jsab11 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2015, 11:13 AM
    How would you rate this essay if you were an employer? Does it sound sloppy?
    I was asked to write two impromptu essays, each less than one hundred words. The first essay was on why I want to be part of the company. The second one was on how I can help the team. This is how I remember writing the first essay. -

"I'd like to be part of the company for two reasons. First, I'd like to impart my skills and take part in advancing the objectives of the team. I believe that a company that promotes intellectual diversity by hiring people with different specializations is bound to be successful

Second only is my desire to improve my skills by applying the theories that I've learned to actual practice."
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 28, 2015, 01:00 PM
    Not sloppy, even though it doesn't really say much (advancing objectives, applying what you've learned, etc., all a given). But that's OK because it's pretty typical.
    Not sure if 'impart' is the best word for the simplest expression 'use.' Don't get caught in the trap of fancy sounding words.

This is a little bit too much about you and not enough about the company. Stress how much you have followed their growth and how proud and eager you would be to be a part of their future. In the same vein as using fancy words, don't get caught up in sounding 'correct' when they really want to hear that you are dying to work for them.
    Bragging about yourself is the second question, which you don't have here.

But I'm nit picking, and I think it's fine. If you don't get the job, think about some of this for next time.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 28, 2015, 05:53 PM
    It is somewhat a normal text book answer that sounds like it was cut and pasted from some management or recruitment handbook.

It is not sloppy but not very impressive for a hiring manager.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my employer reduce my hourly rate because of a reconstuction of the department? [ 2 Answers ]

I lost a position after 2 yrs. And 23 yrs of employment with the same company. I know that they can reduce my hours worked Daily, but can they reduce my hourly rate also? The department reconstucted and left me without a position, so they are demoting me to a lower position plus cutting my hr....

My employer keeps trying to get me to work for a flat rate, which is 1/3 of my hourly [ 1 Answers ]

I am a truck driver for a moving company. We have one account that regularly takes 12 hours to complete and most of the time it is on Sunday, which would be overtime. I used to just punch in and do it as a normal day of work, but about a month ago, my employer said I could no longer do it on the...

My employer considers me salary on a 50 hour work week and pays me a rate of 700 week [ 1 Answers ]

My employer considers me on a 50 hour salary ,paying 700.00 weekly ,but if I only work 48 or anything less than 50 hours a week they pay me only straight time ,what I'm saying is that if I work 45 hours they pay me 45 hours straight time ,I'm just wondering if that is legal

View more questions Search