Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kritvarma Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2015, 06:50 PM
    Social security benefits
    Is having a green card enough or do we have to be US citizens in order to receive social security and Medicare benefits after reaching age 62?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2015, 07:00 PM
    First, you have to pay into SS to get benefits. You need 40 quarters, 10 years, to qualify for a basic benefit. Typically Medicare starts at 65, not 62, unless you qualify under special conditions.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 28, 2015, 01:24 PM
    What ma0641 said -- andyou don't have to be a citizen to get SS retirement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social security benefits [ 1 Answers ]

I have been working part time in the USA and paying into Social Security. When I retire at age 62, I will NOT have the required full 40 weeks. Will I still be able to apply and collect social security for any of the amount that was paid into it? Thank you. Smith

Social Security benefits? [ 1 Answers ]

If I renounce my U.S. citzenship will I loose my Social Security benefits?

For people who earned a great deal of income during the '70's & 80's where they required to pay in larger amounts to social security comparied to a person who earned an average income?

Before I turned 21 I was diagnosed with a mental disability. I have been receiving benefits paid to my mother for me. I now have a child out of wedlock. Can my child receive benefits and if so, will those benefits come from my share of benefits?

Social Security Benefits [ 3 Answers ]

Can a child who is getting social security benefits because of a disabled parent get a job?

View more questions Search