Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SIMBRIAL Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2015, 12:41 PM
    Off Work - Mortgage Paid- Filing taxes
    Hello,

My husband and I file separetly.

I file in my own country being on a G1 visa and my husband files in the US. Unfortunately he didn' t have any income as he was not working for the entire year; anyhow, he punctually paid the home mortgage every time and on time.

Is there any way for him to file taxes as he didn't have any income at all? He engaged the past year being a consultant but he still didn't have any income. He offered his service for free to his friends.

Can you please advsie if there is a way to get at least the interests paid on the house? It would be a shame to loose all the money paid on the mortgage.

Thank you,
    Regards,
    Simon
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 27, 2015, 04:03 PM
    Sorry, you are going to lose the mortgage interest deduction if your husband has no income.
    SIMBRIAL Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2015, 05:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    Sorry, you are going to lose the mortgage interest deduction if your husband has no income.
    Thanks for the response. Well,. no filing at this point.
    I appreciate your help.
    Best,
    Simona
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 9, 2015, 08:06 PM
    Glad to help! Wish I had better news.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can home mortgage interest paid on foreign property be deducted while filing taxes [ 5 Answers ]

Can I deduct mortgage interest on a home outside the U.S.

Employer paid taxes being paid by employee [ 7 Answers ]

I started with a new company as an employee I am a loan officer I wanted to be an independent contractor as I have always been that in the past but they said I could not do so They are now requiring me to pay the employer taxes (FICA 6.2%, Medicare 1.45%, Fed/state unemployment 1% and 4.35% for...

I paid taxes for 2007, now have amended refund, what about money I paid [ 1 Answers ]

I paid $4000 with taxes for 2007, now have amended refund of $5300. Should I received back money with an original return I paid?

Refinanced through mortgage lender who never paid off original mortgage company [ 1 Answers ]

I signed closing papers on June 11 with funding to occur on June 16 for the refinance of my home more than 45 days ago. To date (July 31), my original mortgagor has not received the pay-off from the company with whom I refinanced. Since the papers were signed, two payments have become due (and...

View more questions Search