Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hannahreigler Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2015, 12:25 PM
    Blood clot after having my tooth taken out..
    I had my tooth taken out last night, the dentist said it was infected and that was why I was in so much pain, 24hours later I still am in pain, I had a look at the blood clot and most of it has turned a whitish colour, I am panicking in case I have an absess, can this happen?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 27, 2015, 02:34 PM
    A lot can happen when you have a tooth taken out. You should be talking to your dentist about the pain and color. Did they put your on antibiotics? BTW is is not an absess if the tooth is pulled.

Feb 28, 2015, 01:49 AM
    No the dentist told me I had a infection. But because the tooth was so so bad he took it out.. the only thing he said was to take pain killers.. maybe the infection is still there and that's why I'm still in pain
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 28, 2015, 02:37 AM
    You will be in pain whether infected or not! If he expects you to kill this kind of pain without a prescription, he isn't being fair. Take Tylenol and ibuprofin for now and call him.
    White is dead gum tissue that is usually pink. Keep the area very clean, don't eat foods that need a lot of chewing or that will get stuck in teeth (mostly soups, oatmeal, soggy cereal, mashed potatoes, etc), and when you can tolerate it, gently massage the gum with a very soft toothbrush to stimulate new gum growth.

Infection would show as bright red gum and you might have a discharge of pus. You would need antibiotics.

Feb 28, 2015, 02:43 AM
    The whitish colour has gone now and its gone back to a dark redish colour which now actually looks like a blood clot. Ive found some antibotics that was given to me from having an infection in my tooth. And the pain has started to ease off abit now.. once I can get back onto eating the food I normally eat ill be a happy girl!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 28, 2015, 04:05 AM
    If the antibiotics are too old, they may not be effective. I doubt if you should be taking them at all! There are different grades of antibiotics. Consult your dentist please. The pain you are feeling is not because of the infection. It is because you had a tooth yanked out of tissue and bone !

You are seeing the blood clot that will protect the extraction site so that the healing process can begin. It will stay in place for about a week and must not be disturbed by eating on that side of your mouth. Your dentist would have given you instructions to follow, if not ASK him.

Do not brush near the extraction site. When rinsing do it gently.

Normally a dentist will not give pain killers after an extraction, unless of course it was more then one tooth. Anything you take for a headache would suffice for a tooth extraction.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 28, 2015, 06:51 AM
    Each of us has different levels of tolerance to pain, My wife had a tooth taken out, and was on couch complaining for about three days, I had several taken out and went to work the next day.

But when you have medical things done, talk, ask questions, don't assume doctor will tell you everything. But pain 24 hours after, is normal, and you will take time to start feeling no discomfort. It is unusal to pull the tooth, without first treating the infection, and if pain lasts you really need to address that issue

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blood clot after wisdom tooth extraction [ 1 Answers ]

I just got my wisdom teeth out yesterday, and I was bleeding a lot for like 12 hours, and when I woke up it was stopped And I'm pretty sure there's blood clots there now, but I can't really tell. I still have a horrible taste in my mouth, and every time I swallow my spit it just tastes like blood,...

Lost blood clot after tooth extraction [ 2 Answers ]

My blood clot came out and I just had my tooth taken out yesterday. What am I supposed to do?

What does an after tooth extraction blood clot look like? What color should it be? [ 0 Answers ]

I am having a hard time telling the diffrence between a clot and food. I'm worried of possible dry socket. I've had 2 teeth pulled and had a previous dry socket just heal up. I'm a smoker, and I am beginning to become uncomfortable. Today is the third day after extraction.

What does a blood clot in extracted tooth hole look like? [ 0 Answers ]

I just got my tooth extracted yesterday and I have not followed all the rules, I spit and smoked a few ciggarettes. I also kind of rinsed it out when I would drink water, I did not know I was not supposed to do that. It has been a little over 24 hours and I do not see a blood clot in the whole.. ...

Blood clot with extracted tooth [ 2 Answers ]

How long does a blood clot last after having a tooth extracted?

View more questions Search