Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daniigurl Posts: 75, Reputation: 3

Feb 23, 2015, 04:54 PM
    First time fish owner
    Recently decided to get my little one a pet fish. I selected a betta, one that was very aggressive and active initially. I placed him into a five gallon tank with a filter and an LED light. He has an adequate amount of plants and hiding places, I make sure the temperature is between the appropriate ranges, and do my best to make sure he has a night and day cycle. After about 1.5 weeks I noticed he started making his first bubble nest. I was very excited and happy to see this, however, it's been roughly a week and I've noticed a slight change in his behavior. I'm no expert on fish behavior so I'm not sure if I'm overly concerned or if there's something going on. His appetite has decreased quite a bit. I was giving him between 4-6 pellets a day after I noticed him coming to the surface more frequently in search for food when giving him just 2-3. I've cut back on his food since he's not eating as frequently, after giving him 2 pellets he just doesn't seem that interested in eating. He still seems to be pretty active, no unusual signs aside from his appetite. Does he just not enjoy the food or should I suspect something more?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 23, 2015, 05:51 PM
    Could there be rotting food on the bottom? Is the water cloudy? I'm wondering if you overfed him.
    Does the filter create bubbles to oxygenate the water?
    Fish don't always gulp at the surface looking for food.
    daniigurl Posts: 75, Reputation: 3

Feb 23, 2015, 09:23 PM
    There are a few pebbles floating around the tank, the water is clear otherwise (the tank has only been set up about 2 or 3 weeks). I did over fill it a bit, though, so the filter doesn't create bubbles when it flows into the tank. This hasn't seemed to bother him much in the last few weeks, though. Should I remove some of the water? I've thought about removing some and possibly adding a bit of warmer water to boost the temperature a couple degrees. The water is in the low 70s, which I read was okay for a betta fish, but I think it's dropped a degree in the last week.

I'm also wondering (as I've read other's experiences with Bettas) if maybe he doesn't like the pebbles? He didn't seem to mind them in the beginning, but I read Bettas also enjoy insects and brine shrimp? I'm not sure what the pet store fed him, but I don't believe it was anything more than what I feed him.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 24, 2015, 03:34 AM
    I'd let some bubbles air the water, and buy food just for Bettas, such as brine shrimp.
    Some pet stores are good, others take the cheapest way out, hoping to sell before the pet gets sick.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 24, 2015, 07:31 AM
    The tank is to big. I had mine in about a gallon tank with no problem, pebbles and one of those little fake trees. He liked hiding in it, doesn't need the water oxygenated, just changed when it gets cloudy. They are extremely easy to contain in a large cup of water while you change but I had two small tanks for that purpose.

They are a very friendly fish, mine waited for me to appear in the morning.

And yes, you are probably feeding too much. Read the labels.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 24, 2015, 05:58 PM
    Ok, so you have a 5 gallon tank and a filter...this is good. The tank could be smaller but a Betta will do fine in any size, it's just a waste to go too big.

I have had many Bettas over the years and, to be honest, I never bought into the specialized Betta food or pellets. They always got what I fed my other fish....TetraMin tropical fish flakes. They did fine with this. Is that the answer to your question though? No, I don't think so. I know plenty of people who swear by the pellets so you are probably ok there. As a general rule of thumb, feeding amounts work like this: Feed them what they will eat in 5-10 minutes. You don't want any food left floating around after 10 minutes. If it is, you are feeding too much. If it is eaten up too quickly, obviously you are not feeding enough.

Your temperature sounds about right though they generally like it a little warmer, closer to 80. You have to keep in mind where these fish originate.

Now, to your problem...sometimes fish go through things just like people and they may act strange for a bit or may not want to eat...but when it happens, it is a good idea to check a few things. Being that you have only had this fish for 2 or 3 weeks, I am wondering about the water quality. You may want to take a water sample to the pet store and have them test for acidity and PH as most pet stores will do this for free. I think this is where you will find a problem in your set-up...if, in fact, you do have an actual problem. I am not going to write all that I know about water chemistry for fish but I did find you a pretty good explanation about it and what to look for.
    betta water

Good luck and let us know how it all works out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

First time home owner need advise.. [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased a two story new construction in 2007.There are now cracks in the master bathroom wall.Some of the doors upstairs will not stay closed.The stairs are separating from the wall.Cracks in the wall are also noted in the foyer.There is a picture on the Wall in the foyer that constantly need...

Why do I get a fish smell in my shower during winter time [ 1 Answers ]

I just moved in to a apartment about 8 months ago. I started noticing a fish smell coming from my bedroom shower after I used it, I also noticed that during winter season the smell was very strong and during summer it was not, any suggestions on how to get rid of it.

First time dog owner needs suggestions [ 69 Answers ]

Hello all! I pick up my first puppy this week. She is a month old Siberian Husky with blue eyes - just adorable. At any rate I was hoping for some advice on training her and raising her. Anything you could give me would be helpful. I have done a lot of research on huskies in general - love to run,...

First time Home owner credit [ 4 Answers ]

MY fiancé and I are looking to purchase a home prior to dec1 2009. We are interested in the 8k credit, however... I currently own a home, my fiancé does not. We are intending to put the new home in her name only... Our current wedding is Nov 28... if we close before the wedding will she be...

New aquarium owner with dying fish [ 32 Answers ]

I started my 10 gallon freshwater tank about a month ago and I have had 5 out of 6 fish die. The only fish that has survived is a swordtail. I have lost a 2 mollies, 2 plecostomus and one swordfish. I don't know if we are feeding them too much or not. We do have a little food particles on the...

View more questions Search