Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimfromIT Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2015, 09:29 PM
    Do some creationists think that the flood changed the environment,--
    Resulting in an ice age? It's a stupid biology question in a christian cirriculum.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 23, 2015, 12:27 AM
    Christians believe, and all Christians should believe in creation, or they have lost most value of their faith. The issue of evolution and how life progressed is another issue. But yes, in theory from a Biblical viewpoint, there was no rain prior to the flood, that covered either the entire world, or the entire known world at that time. ( that is debatable by Biblical scholars) It would have changed the entire face of that section of the land. No, there is no mention or belief that it caused an ice age
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 23, 2015, 09:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    But yes, in theory from a Biblical viewpoint, there was no rain prior to the flood, that covered either the entire world, or the entire known world at that time. ( that is debatable by Biblical scholars)
    I must point out that this is a science forum, and hence I must also point out that any discussion of a flood that covered the entire Earth has no basis in science. This discussion properly belongs in a religious forum rather than this one. However, I'm intrigued because I hadn't this point of view before. Your belief is that there was no rain, ever, before the flood? How supposedly did plants, crops, and people survive?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 23, 2015, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    I must point out that this is a science forum, and hence I must also point out that any discussion of a flood that covered the entire Earth has no basis in science. This discussion properly belongs in a religious forum rather than this one. However, I'm intrigued because I hadn't this point of view before. Your belief is that there was no rain, ever, before the flood? How supposedly did plants, crops, and people survive?
    I was taught that, before the Flood, the Earth was covered by a mist (like in Seattle?), a mist that may have saturated and pooled during the night and that sufficiently watered plants and supplied water to animals and humans. There's supposed to be evidence of that in Genesis (would have to look) and in the fact that, when the 40 days ended, the first rainbow appeared as a promise from God that he would never destroy the Earth again by flood. If there had been rain before the Flood, there would have been rainbows, according to my teachers.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 23, 2015, 10:16 AM
    If I were you, I would answer this question by what the curriculum has been teaching you. That's the only answer that counts, whether its factual, or not.

So what does your textbook and teacher say?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2015, 10:20 AM
    Maybe this is what you are referring to: Genesis 2:6 but streams came up from the earth and watered the whole surface of the ground.

Where did that underground water come from? Is this time period during Pangea when much of the Earth was covered by sea?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 23, 2015, 10:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Is this time period during Pangea when much of the Earth was covered by sea?
    I had to chuckle at this. I sincerely doubt that anyone who ascribes to creationism and a literal reading of Genesis with its stories of "mists" before a "flood" would support the notion of Pangea, as it requires an understanding of plate tectonics, which in turn supports the notion of the Earth being billions of years old. You won't get far in a discussion with biblical literalists on topics such as plate tectonics, the fossil record, astronomy (especially cosmology), biology, archaeology, or paleontology. By literalists I mean those who hold that the Earth is on the order of 6000 years old or so, and I suspect that's where the OP's teacher is coming from.

To the OP: I agree with Talaniman - it's impossible for us to guess what your teacher's particular view of creationism is, so carefully read over the material you were given and do the best you can.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2015, 10:48 AM
    I was wondering what a creationist's answer to those questions would be. Well anyway maybe the OP will come back with more details.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 23, 2015, 10:48 AM
    Religious schools teach whatever their faith dictates. The only right answer is the one THEY teach.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 23, 2015, 11:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Religious schools teach whatever their faith dictates. The only right answer is the one THEY teach.
    Yup. I found that out when I kept getting Ds and Fs on tests and essays.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The flood [ 1 Answers ]

The water heater blows the T.m.P. valve every time the water is used.I am on a well system there is also a lot of sediment in the well.the water pressure fluctuates dramatically as if the well pump keeps getting triggered,could this be a problem with the bladder tank? If it is the bladder tank...

Apartment Flood [ 4 Answers ]

My wife and I recently had a flood in our lower level apartment. It was cold and the sprinkler system line burst and water poured from our ceiling all over our stuff. We worked to save a lot of our stuff for hours but a lot of the electronics and furniture was ruined. This happened on a Thursday...

Flood light [ 2 Answers ]

I have flood light that connected to another light fixture in the same line.the extising flood light has 3 wires the new flood light has 2 wires. Can I use the new flood light? Or do I have to buy a flood light with 3 wires to completed the installion.

Noah's flood [ 1 Answers ]

The biblical account of the flood of Noah's day says that the entire earth was covered with water. At face value, that would mean the highest mountains would be covered by water - around 29,000 ft. Would that result in the breathable atmosphere moving upward allowing Noah and his family to...

F1 OPT to H1 - Changed companies, Changed States [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My situation is as follows: OPT with company 1 in Texas from Dec 10 2006 - September 30 2007 H1 with company 1 in Texas from Oct 1 2007 - Nov 15 2007 H1 with company 2 in Maryland from Nov 15 2007 till date. What tax forms do I fill? I also have state tax from company 2 since that...

View more questions Search