Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 20, 2015, 01:12 PM
    Wet Persian Rug
    We had a pipe (part of our baseboard heating system) burst yesterday in our Family Room. It cause a minor flood with a shallow puddle covering much of the room's floor. On the floor is a genuine Persian rug that my aunt gave us (she had lived in Iran for about a dozen years). Obviously the rug got very wet.

Does anyone know what I might be able to do to recover the rug? I suspect it might have more sentimental than real value.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 20, 2015, 01:14 PM
    I'd call a dry cleaners. How big is it?

Feb 20, 2015, 01:15 PM
    I estimate its about 10x12.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 20, 2015, 01:21 PM
    Or call an area business that sells rugs? (Or call the reference desk at your library :-).)

Is it dripping wet? Can you lay it across clotheslines or sawhorse-type things? Use a dehumidifier?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 20, 2015, 01:26 PM
    I called my home library. She (ref. lib. named Carol, have known her for decades) will check into some things and call me back.

Feb 20, 2015, 01:29 PM
    Someone else recommended a dehumidifier. Unfortunately I really don't have space indoors to hang it and its too cold outdoors. I'll check local rug shops.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 20, 2015, 01:57 PM
    Carol suggested the site, rugchick.com, that seems to answer your question on how to save a soaked Persian rug. She also said there are other sites, but she liked the on rugchick the best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Identifying Artist Signatures 1985 'green rug' & 1986 'russet rug both signed [ 0 Answers ]

Please identify 2 signed paintings or prints by the same artist. One is dated 1985 and referenced on the back of the double matted and framed piece as ' GREEN RUG'. The 2nd piece is noted in the same manner but dated 1986 and described as 'RUSSET RUG' . I am unable to read (his?) signature and wish...

Wet spot on rug? [ 2 Answers ]

In our bathroom in front of the sink cabinet about 6" is an oval wet spot 10" x 5" & a smaller spot now appearing next to it. The house is on a crawlspace I went under there and could see no leakage in there. I couldn't see any water inlet so I imagine it maybe above the insulation in the...

Can a existing wet line with a vent exiting on the upper part of the wet pipe be used [ 2 Answers ]

Can a existing wet line with a vent exiting on the upper part of the wet pipe be used for a 2nd bathroom being contemplated for a 2nd floor farmhouse. Both the wet line and waste vent are both located in the basement. They were installed for a first floor bathroom. Please see attached pictures.

Can I put a jute backed rug on a laminate without a rug pad or will it ruin thefloor [ 14 Answers ]

I have a Pergo laminate floor and I want to buy a jute backed rug to put on part of the floor. Do I need a rug pad (and what kind) or can I just lay the rug without ruining the laminate flooring.

Small spot on rug wet--on slab--no basement [ 1 Answers ]

We have noticed a small wet spot on our rug, which happens to be next to a ceramic tile, near our entryway. The wet spot is about 3" from a closet, and on the other side of the back of the closet wall is our laundry room, with washer and dryer. The grout on the tile next to the wet spot is...

View more questions Search