Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wagdi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 05:47 PM
    Budgie nesting box
    Hi
    I have an aviary and I have some questions.

1/ does the nesting box have to be hang up, or can it just be put on top of anything?
    2/ how long till my birds get used to the new avairy?

Thanks and best regards,

Wagdi
    brandy681 Posts: 295, Reputation: 26

May 22, 2007, 07:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wagdi
    Hi
    I have an aviary and I have some questions.

1/ does the nesting box have to be hang up, or can it just be put on top of anything?
    2/ how long till my birds get used to the new avairy?

Thanks and best regards,

Wagdi
    Hi,
    The best way and about the only way to use a nesting box is if you have a large cage. There will need to be a whole or slot where the parakeets can go in and out from the cage into the nesting box but not outside of the cage. You cannot lay the nesting box outside the cage and if you put it in the cage it may be to crowded. A lot of parakeets do not use nesting boxes and I know a lot of them that also do not mate.

If your cockatiels want to mate they will do it inside of their cage and lay the eggs on the floor of the cage or in a food dish. What are you using on the floor? If you are using paper towels, or a wire please take it out and buy wood shavings because this is safe for the eggs and also will promote the parakeets to mate.

Also you will need to buy a cuddle bone for calcium, this will hang on the cage and it also promotes calcium for the birds so that they will mate. I do NOT recommend using a nesting box because it will be a waist because they probably will not use it. My birds (cockatiels, parakeets) have NEVER used a nesting box and I am a experienced breeder. They will be frightenened and scared of the box and again you will have to have a BIG cage and a whole for the birds to go in and out of the cage into the nesting box.

I recommend putting (unscented) wood shavings on the bottum of the cage @ about an inch or two and also provide a cuttle bone, breeding bird seed, and pellets for the birds to promote breeding. Not all parakeets breed and you may get your hopes up but this is the best advice that I can give you. A lot of pet birds will not use a nesting box and so this is what I recommend you to do!
    brandy681 Posts: 295, Reputation: 26

May 22, 2007, 07:11 PM
    I meant parakeets not cockatiels.
    mrssittingduck Posts: 151, Reputation: 24

May 25, 2007, 02:50 AM
    Can I have the measurements of the aviary?

Also is the aviary an indoor or out door aviary?

I have had nestboxes hung up , the general rule is 2 nestboxes per breeding pair of birds in cockatiels it is 2 and a half nestboxes pr breeding pair,

Hang all nestboxes up at the same height if there are more than 1 pair of birds in the aviary as this prevents jealusy and fighting over nest space..

Alternativly nest boxes can be placed on the floor of a cage if it is an indoor cage and it is big enough... shavings that are unbleached are god but only put an inch in the bottom so they don't bury their eggs..

Budgies don't even need shavings as they will lay on the concave of the nestbox and the eggs will be fine, in the wild they nest in tree hollows and do not put any nesting material in their...

It shouldn't take to long for the birds t get used to a new aviary, maybe a week are so,

But getting them t breed in it may take a while longer as they have to learn that they are completely safe, if the aviary is out door, put the nestboxes up high so as to stp mice getting in at the eggs as they will eat them.. and small chicks

Once your budgies are seen mating then usually an egg takes 10 days before the first one arrives, the budgie will lay every other day after that and will lay between 3 and 5 eggs (smetimes they lay more or less depending on the ega and experience of the birds)

Good luck

Katie
    benji12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2011, 10:06 AM
    When can I put nesting boxes up in my outdoor bird avairy
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 5, 2011, 03:53 PM

Old thread.

Benji12, if you have a question please start your own thread with enough info so that we can correctly answer your question.

Thanks.

Thread closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Budgie cage gone bad [ 5 Answers ]

I am looking for advice on how to clean a budgie cage that hasn't been cleaned in a long long while. The budgie is still in it! It is for a friend and I haven't cleaned out a cage before so need the real basics! Thanks

Nesting IF functions and formulas [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, am a newby to this forum and have a problem. Am working on a payroll spreadsheet for a friend's business using If functions and have exceeded the seven it allows so am trying to break it out into formulas-which have forgotten how to do. Can somebody help? Thank you. scakya

Nesting Bald Eagles [ 2 Answers ]

Kennedy Space Center Eagles KSC has quite a few pairs of nesting Bald Eagles. The most famous is a pair that return every year to nest in a pine tree about half way between the Vehicle Assembly Building (a massively huge structure) and Kennedy Parkway. Every year the KSC photography contractor...

X in the box [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to cut and paste a graphic into my Yahoo mail and I get a blank box with a red x in the upper left hand corner. Any idea how to correct this?

View more questions Search