Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jim Murphy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2005, 08:37 AM
    Laundry Pump vent hookup. How? - no vent access
    I have a Laundry Tray Pump System connected to my wash tub in my fifteen year old townhome's basement. I was recently informed that it was not properly installed because I never connected the vent pipe from the pump.

I had some one look at it and was told that the house's vent system (which runs out into my roof) was not accessible from the basement.

The one option I was advised of was to run the pvc vent pipe up into the basement ceiling and out into the front of my house near where the dryer vent is located which is close to ground level.

Is this permissible?
    Any inherent problems with this plan?

The only difficulty I forsee would be drilling through the brick exterior.

The vent pipe would run vertical around 6 feet and thenbend around two feet horizontal and then bend two more feet horizontally around 18 inches to outside.

Thanks

Jim
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 28, 2005, 10:42 AM
    Vent
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Murphy
    I have a Laundry Tray Pump System connected to my wash tub in my fifteen year old townhome's basement. I was recently informed that it was not properly installed because I never connected the vent pipe from the pump.
    I had some one look at it and was told that the house's vent system (which runs out into my roof) was not accessible from the basement.
    The one option I was advised of was to run the pvc vent pipe up into the basement ceiling and out into the front of my house near where the dryer vent is located which is close to ground level.
    Is this permissible?
    Any inherent problems with this plan?
    The only difficulty I forsee would be drilling through the brick exterior.
    The vent pipe would run vertical around 6 feet and thenbend around two feet horizontal and then bend two more feet horizontally around 18 inches to outside.
    thanks
    Jim

Hi Jim, Let me give you a option that may solve your problem. Consider installing a spring loaded mechanical vent instead if running a outside vent.
    Click on, http://www.studor.com/homeowners.htm to check it out.
    If you need more help or information fell free to ask away. Tom
    eastlocust Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2007, 02:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Hi Jim, Let me give you a option that may solve your problem. Consider installing a spring loaded mechanical vent instead if running a outside vent.
    Click on, http://www.studor.com/homeowners.htm to check it out.
    If you need more help or information fell free to ask away. Tom
    I saw that vent. It is for drawing air in to it. A vent for this system needs to also expel air as the box fills with water. Otherwise it will not fill because of the air being pressurized inside it.
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 13, 2007, 03:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by eastlocust
    I saw that vent. It is for drawing air in to it. A vent for this system needs to also expel air as the box fills with water. Otherwise it will not fill because of the air being pressurized inside it.
    You are correct. My bad! The pit expels air as well as drawing it i8n. Run the pit vent to the outsiude and you have my apologizes for giving you the wrong information. Tom
    kazy_48098 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2008, 05:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    You are correct. My bad!! The pit expells air as well as drawing it i8n. Run the pit vent to the outsiude and you have my apologizes for giving you the wrong information. Tom

Speedball,
    I am having the same issue here. I have a finished basement, and have no access to tie into the sewage vent. You mentioned the pit. What do you mean? I need something for my bar sink to drain properly. Thanks
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 14, 2008, 05:46 AM
    Hey guys... hey one more idea... we do it a lot here at my plumbing company... especially for sewage ejector pump systems. Here, when absolutely no other choice beside running pipe up and out side the building, we will run a vent up through closets to the attic and tie in the vent to the vents up there (or penetrate roof... depending on plumbing inspector of town). We have almost always found a straight shot through a 1st floor to a 2nd floor closet into attic... further, we pull the pipe forward in the closet.. left or right justify so that it is never really seen... we have even had homeowners go as far as building a false wall to conceal pipe(s) when the pipe(s) could be seen.

And as to whether you can run the pipe out the front of your house and just dead end it (probably turn a 90 degree elbow up(with screen))... you should talk to the local plumbing inspector and see what he has to say... each town is different when it comes to laundry and ejector pumps (shouldn't be... but just the way it is! ) Anyway, Good luck. IF my answer was helpful please RATE MY ANSWER below!! Thank you.
    kazy_48098 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2008, 05:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008
    Hey guys...hey one more idea...we do it alot here at my plumbing company...especially for sewage ejector pump systems. Here, when absolutely no other choice beside running pipe up and out side the building, we will run a vent up through closets to the attic and tie in the vent to the vents up there (or penetrate roof in the case of an ejector). We have almost always found a straight shot through a 1st floor to a 2nd floor closet into attic...further, we pull the pipe forward in the closet..left or right justify so that it is never really seen....we have even had homeowners go as far as building false wall to conceal pipe(s) when the pipe(s) could be seen. Anyway..just another thought for you. Good luck. IF my answer was helpful please RATE MY ANSWER below!!! Thank you.
    Great answer, but what happens when you can't do either? Lets say a sink in an island where you can't do anything? I have this situation and the pump box gets pressurized. I know I need to vent this but not underneath unless it had a filter or something on it so it wouldn't smell. But now with the bar sink, I may be OK with it vented under the sink. That is really the only option because it does not drain right. I don't know what else to do.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 14, 2008, 07:52 AM
    You know... I hate to go this route... BUT.. I think I am going to recommend that you call your local plumbing inspector and ask him... Asking doesn't mean you are going to do the work... just make it hypothetical situation... if necessary. Otherwise hoping someone more familiar with these type of pumps can help... perhaps speedball1, doug238, iamgrowler or ballengerb1 can help... can always PM them. Best wishes.
    hollowjacket Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2009, 12:19 PM
    I had the same problem for a client of mine, they built an inlaw suite in their basement and made an island sink in the middle, not thinking of the venting. The pump did not pump properly and they called me.
    I built a pillar next to the island(joining on one side) I made it decorative so as to look like a support. The plumbing fit nicely inside it and drywalled it and put moulding on the top and bottom. It looks very nice and solves the venting problem.

Chris:)
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 5, 2009, 04:52 AM
    You do know that the vent doesn't have to go all the way up to the roof don't you? In my area, ( Standard Plumbing code) it's acceptable to run it up and out to the outside wall. Chapter 14, section 1404.4 and .5 of my code book address this issue. There are rules that must be followed and a inspectors OK to get. Talk to your local Building department about this optrion. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laundry tub pump vent [ 4 Answers ]

I have a laundry tub installed in the basment. It drains to a sealed pump box. The pump inside discharges to the house drain above. The box is vented to the house drain also. About two feet upstream from where the discharge tees in. I suppose this has been working but the question is - is this a...

Laundry Sink Vent [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to place a laundry sink in the basement. The location in question is under the kitchen. I can tie into the drain pipe from the kitchen which would run vertically, right next to the laundry sink. However, the nearest point where I could attach a vent line is about twenty feet from...

Vent line [ 1 Answers ]

Does a vent line have to be installed upline from a toilet, on can it be downstream?

Dry vent used as wet vent [ 7 Answers ]

I have a basement bathroom and an upstairs bathroom... speedball1 you stated in one of your questions answered "Yes, but you must realize that once you drain the fixtures from the upstairs bath into it that it will no longer be a vent from that point down . It then becomes a stack and every...

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

View more questions Search