Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 12, 2015, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    Ring my doorbell and get greeted by my gun sign?
    I wish TJ. I'm in Canada, no gun here.

But I have dogs, and next time I'm letting them loose. If you can't read the sign, and I'm going to include a "beware of dogs that hate solicitors" sign, then you get what you get. Beware, I'm not playing anymore, and my border collie hates anyone he doesn't know, so expect to be chased, and bitten, because you can't read, or choose to ignore my signs.
    Pets Expert

Jun 12, 2015, 05:54 PM
    Forget about my gripe. Just reconnected with a cousin I lost touch with years ago. We're going to talk on the phone tomorrow. She lives in Canada, only around a 20 minute drive from me. She got divorced, had tough times, health issues. I lost 2 parents, miscarried, health issues, and we just lost contact. Used to talk a few times a week. Then we stopped, and suddenly it's been years, and calling seemed awkward.

Found her on Facebook, sent a friend request, she accepted, we're fb chatting and she's calling me tomorrow!

So life is good! Very good! :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 12, 2015, 06:11 PM
    That's exciting news Alty!
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jun 12, 2015, 06:58 PM
    Yay! Enjoy your cousin! Another idea: you could carve a nice wooden sign that says solicitors will be fed to the dogs! You could put a knife on it!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 13, 2015, 10:27 AM
    Great news for both J and Alty.

Alty just make one sign. No Solicitors and No Tresspassing. Everytime you make an O make it into a bullseye. They will get the hint.
    Pets Expert

Jun 15, 2015, 03:36 PM
    LOL! Love that idea Cdad. Just answered the door to yet another solicitor, asked him why he even bothered ringing my bell (he came back twice). His reply "I don't understand the question. The first time I came you didn't answer the door, so I came back". I said "I know. I answered it the second time so you wouldn't come back a third time. My question is why you even bothered. Did you not read my signs?"

His reply: "I read them, but I'm not a prostitute, so I'm not soliciting, and I'm selling a power wash of your driveway, and that wasn't on your list of things you didn't want sold to you, so I figured I'd give it a try".

I simply looked at him (he was in his early 20's) and said "I hope your parents didn't pay a lot for college, they may has well have set the money on fire. Have a good day".

Smack me now! :(
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 15, 2015, 05:41 PM
    Really cheap perfume in an atomizer. Douse the shirt, not the face.
    Pets Expert

Jun 15, 2015, 07:24 PM
    Have to share some great news. I shared this on fb, but in case you're not on my friend list, I'm sharing it here too. So proud, and in tears. Happy tears.

Just got a call from Jared's foods teacher. She wanted to let me know what a pleasure it was teaching Jared this year, that he was a joy to have in her class, that she will miss him next year (he's taking foods but unlikely to get her as a teacher), and that he made her entire year. She just wanted me to know what a wonderful young man Rod and I are raising, and that I should be very proud of him.

I'm still in tears over this call. She made my day, heck, she made my year, just like Jared did for her.

So proud of him. Of course I told him, and he was almost in tears too. He was shocked that she called, and very pleased that she likes him as much as she does.

More teachers should do this. Not only for the parents, but mainly for the kids. The smile on his face, and the pride, no good grade can accomplish that.

Because I drive the kids to school and Syd's classes start earlier than Jared's, Jared is always at school very early. Foods is his first class every day, so he goes in, helps her set up, takes the chairs off the tables, helps her prep the food, etc. She's never asked him to do that, he just does it.

So proud of my son!
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2015, 03:55 AM
    Well done Jared!. and Alty and Rod too!

Did he take his last exams yet? The praise from this teacher will surely give him a boost in confidence and sometimes that helps turn things around.
    Pets Expert

Jun 18, 2015, 10:12 PM
    Thank you so much Doula. I'm so very proud of him. He's finished 2 of his final exams, one more to go next Wednesday, the hardest one, at least in my view. Math! Hate math! He used to be very good at math but is struggling this year, so he's stressed about it.

Sydney (who's in junior high) still has 2 days of classes left. Her last day is Monday, then she has final exams for the next 4 days, her last one on Friday.

We go camping Friday evening, as soon as Rod gets back from work, for 4 days, as a reward for all their hard work this year, and a reward for us too.

Can't wait for summer vacation! :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 19, 2015, 07:46 AM
    Worked my first shift at the new job last night! AMAZING! I can't believe I have been missing out on so much for so long!

I clocked in last night and 3 minutes later delivered a baby right off the elevator. I just jumped in and did what I have been trained to do. I just did it! After the delivery I was introduced to the staff by the girl that is orienting me. She is also the same girl who oriented me at the old job!

Way to hit the floor running! I'm still hyped up on adrenalin!
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 19, 2015, 01:07 PM
    Outstanding, J. Sounds like you're gonna love it.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jun 24, 2015, 11:44 AM
    HI all! Just peeking in! I've been so busy I swear I've hardly had time to pee.

Life is good, though :)
    Pets Expert

Jul 2, 2015, 03:57 PM
    Doing the same as Synn. Just peeking in, been busy, summer vacation has started for the kids and we've hit the ground running. One camping trip already enjoyed and over, Canada day festivities, swimming, and hoping to get the house tidied so we can enjoy even more of the summer.

It's all good over here in the Alty house. Smiles all around. :)
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2015, 07:01 PM
    Tooling around the country in the semi. Just went over the Million Dollar Highway (US 550) in Colorado for the first time. Never again in a 77' tractor trailer!!

Scariest road I've ever been on... beautiful views, definitely, but too many drop offs, and S-turns, often with no guardrail... no room for them.

There truly is an abundance of spectacular scenery in the US!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 3, 2015, 02:39 AM
    Starting my two week vacation today and looking forward to a lot of rest, working in the garden, side trips to eastern Ontario for some beach sitting at our lovely beaches !

Happy summer all !
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Sep 15, 2015, 07:00 AM
    So... I started Weight Watchers almost 2 weeks ago (my weigh-ins are on Wednesdays). I was down 5.5 lbs last Wednesday, and I feel so much better already. It's hard, but not as hard as I thought it would be. And I'm astonished at how many people I've met that have been on it before! My goal is 105 lbs off, but I'd be happy with just 80 off, honestly. I just want to be back in clothes that aren't plus sized anymore, and I want to be able to shop anywhere instead of only specific stores.

So... yeah. No one has checked in here in ages, so I thought I'd start it :)
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2015, 09:19 AM
    I've just been busy as heck at new job and trying like crazy to get caught up on all of my projects before it turns cold. I know I'm not getting them ALL done... but anything is an improvement.
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 15, 2015, 01:56 PM
    Retailers say they make most of their money between Thanksgiving and Christmas. In the bug business that works out to from July 4th to Halloween. Busy? I'll say.
    Pets Expert

Sep 15, 2015, 04:03 PM
    So happy for you Synn. Keep up the good work. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search