Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 24, 2015, 03:11 PM
    Thing is Cdad, I'm just like her. My way of dealing with losing a pet, is to get another. Not to replace the pet we lost, but to fill the void. We always end up loving the new pet just as much as the old one. It helps deal with the loss.

If I could have brought my parents back after they passed, I would have done anything. I would have sold my soul to get them back. But that wasn't an option. With pets it's easier. You know going in that the animals you bring home, it won't outlive you. You know that you'll have to deal with its loss eventually. You do have to mourn, but you can also shorten that mourning by bringing in a new animal.

There are so many shelter animals needing a home. It's hard not to go rescue on of them when I have the room now.

Hope this doesn't sound cold. Not my intention. Just saying that there's an open space, and I can fill it. Not in my heart, but in my home. Hope that makes sense in writing, and doesn't sound cold. It isn't. I love all my animals so much.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 25, 2015, 08:39 AM
    It doesnt sound cold. Everyone is entitled to their own routine when it comes to mourning and loss. It is not for anyone else to decide.

You asked for opinions and I gave mine is all. What you decide has to be what works for you.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 25, 2015, 10:55 PM
    I see it differently. We have pets. Pets are part of our family. Two-legged or four-legged, canine, human, or lagomorphs, they are family.

One thing in having pets is that they are going to die during our lifetime. We have to accept that. We have to teach our children that. Syd has to learn the grieving process. It is a natural process that everyone goes through at one time or another, but to replace this bunny too soon is doing a disservice to Syd. It is teaching her that everything is replaceable, and that's farthest from the truth.

If she wants a new bunny that's fine, but in time. Give it 6 months to a year and revisit the idea. You said so yourself that you don't want another just now. This is a teachable moment. Use it wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Thing is Cdad, I'm just like her. My way of dealing with losing a pet, is to get another. Not to replace the pet we lost, but to fill the void. We always end up loving the new pet just as much as the old one. It helps deal with the loss.
    Filling the void, in my opinion, is not dealing with the loss in a healthy manner.

I mean no disrespect Alty, but I wonder if your parents replaced pets that have passed to "fill the void." If so, then that may be why you are still having such a hard time with their deaths. You were never taught how to grieve properly. If not, then I am totally off base and I apologize in advance.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

May 26, 2015, 06:56 PM
    Congrats, J. SOOOOOOO happy for you!

Alty--Can you find her a stuffed rabbit that LOOKS like Kilala?
    Pets Expert

May 27, 2015, 06:59 PM
    J, you hit the nail on the head. In a lot of ways. Too many to explain.

For now we're not replacing anything. Syd is dealing with it, and she's fine now. Still misses Kilala, but she isn't crying about it anymore, just reminiscing.

On a side note, today is Rod's and my 20th anniversary. Wedding anniversary! It's a big deal. We plan to do something special this weekend, just the two of us. Love him more and more each day, when I don't want to smack him silly that is. Such is marriage. :)
    Expert

May 27, 2015, 10:25 PM
    Happy anniversary!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 28, 2015, 02:33 AM
    Congratulations Alty !
    Pets Expert

May 28, 2015, 05:37 PM
    Thanks all. 20 years and still going strong. Planning a major blowout party for our 25th anniversary. Five years to save up for it. You guys save up too, maybe we can arrange an Alty anniversary and AMHD reunion all in one. Five years peeps, lots of time to save up. :)
    Expert

Jun 11, 2015, 03:34 PM
    Well, orientation week is over. I have decided to work mostly weekends after all. The weekend shift differential for nights is about $10 more an hour than my base pay. Then they pay an extra $1 an hour on top of that JUST to take care of patients! 😎😵

Working weekend nights only will increase my pay exponentially, AND I will be home during the week for Little J when he is back in school.

Oh! And 7 weeks paid vacation a YEAR!

I start next Thursday! A whole week off! I don't know what I'm going to do with myself!
    Pets Expert

Jun 11, 2015, 05:36 PM
    Wow! That's great J! I think you made the right decision. Sounds like you'll get more time with your family, more time to just hang out, relax! That's great! Congrats again!
    Expert

Jun 11, 2015, 05:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Wow! That's great J! I think you made the right decision. Sounds like you'll get more time with your family, more time to just hang out, relax! That's great! Congrats again!
    Yes! And about $12,00 more a year! Give or take.
    Pets Expert

Jun 11, 2015, 05:55 PM
    That's a definite improvement. So happy for you! :)

Wow, that post took a lot of effort to post. Stupid AMHD. This is the reason I'm not here that often. This site has gone to shyt! :(
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2015, 06:14 PM
    Amazing plusses of the new job, J! Enjoy the week off... have some fun and relaxation!
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 12, 2015, 02:37 AM
    Very happy for you, J. I hope there won't be any need to report drunks there.
    Expert

Jun 12, 2015, 10:22 AM
    I think this new facility is more professional and won't tolerate drunk nurses Cats.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jun 12, 2015, 01:43 PM
    Sounds wonderful! Change can be good!!
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 12, 2015, 02:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I think this new facility is more professional and won't tolerate drunk nurses Cats.
    Hooray! I was about out of Memphis aliases
    Expert

Jun 12, 2015, 02:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Hooray! I was about out of Memphis aliases
    Ha! Too funny!
    Pets Expert

Jun 12, 2015, 04:33 PM
    Thinking about electrifying my doorbell. I have signs people, No Solicitors, and a lengthy homemade sign literally telling any peddlers that I'm not interested, so don't ring my bell. Yet I still have these idiots ringing my bell daily! Go away! Unless you're selling Girl Guide cookies (and that's on one of my signs), don't bother me!

How can I make it clearer than that!
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jun 12, 2015, 05:32 PM
    Ring my doorbell and get greeted by my gun sign?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search