Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sjnowak Posts: 80, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2015, 02:34 PM
    Fuel gauge problems
    Fuel gauge not working. Have a 71 chevy nova, fuel gauge is stuck past full, when I ground out sending unit wire at the gauge it goes to empty, unhook ground jumper it goes back to full, same thing when I ground the connector in the trunk, it goes to empty then back to full when remove jumper wire to ground. Does that mean the gauge is good and the wiring is good - al least back as far as the connector in the trunk - and the cause is most likely the sending unit in tank ? Any ideas ?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2015, 05:25 PM
    Sounds like a sending unit problem.

Feb 18, 2015, 07:57 AM
    Are there any other / further tests that can be performed to make sure of the problem ?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2015, 08:01 AM
    There may be resistance tests, if you could get your hands on a shop manual or Haynes Manual.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 18, 2015, 08:19 AM
    This may help,

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...4808EEC9FD0FA8

Feb 18, 2015, 07:39 PM
    Yeah, good info but look like I need to take unit out of tank and drop tank to do it, what I was hoping to avoid - oh well, that the way it goes I guess. Thanks everyone

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fuel gauge problems [ 9 Answers ]

While trying to fix a fuel Gauge I discover that the fuel pump wad straight wired

97 chevy truck fuel gauge problems [ 0 Answers ]

My 1998 Chevy silvarado fuel gauge reads full when full and empty when empty but anything gos between. It will jump between 3/4 to 1/8 in a heart beat. It may read full with only a 1/8 of a tank.

Drove the cooling high hot gauge and back to normal gauge problems? [ 0 Answers ]

Overheating problem and smell combustion gasses with the cooling. What is problem from ?

1991 Honda Civic Tack, water gauge, fuel gauge problem? [ 2 Answers ]

My tack, fuel gauge and water temp gauge all went to zero. I could not find any fuzes that were out. Is there anything that would provide power to these three items?

Fuel pump and fuel gauge on 92 accord doesn"t work,why? [ 1 Answers ]

I HAVE CHANGED THE FUEL TANK ON 1992 HONDA ACCORD,NOW FUEL GAUGE AND FUEL PUMP WON'T WORK I checked fuses and I jump wired the relay as told in the manual,still nothing everything was working before leaking tank swap what could cause this?

View more questions Search