Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bandmancj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2015, 04:32 PM
    How to keep pipes from freezing with the furnace out?
    Our furnace is not working. Inside house temp. is 52. Low temp tonight will be around 12. Is it better to keep the faucets dripping overnight or drain the water pipes? We've been without for 20 hours.
    Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 15, 2015, 04:58 PM
    Both a pretty drastic measures, do you have a stove and is the blower on the firnace operational?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 15, 2015, 05:06 PM
    Drain the pipe unless you can keep the temperature above freezing.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 15, 2015, 05:16 PM
    Way more to it if you are letting the house freeze up. You have traps, toilet, toilet tanks, water filters, water heater, etc... Let's think of how to keep the place from freezing. However the poster needs to come back.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 17, 2015, 05:36 PM
    Ball, you got that right! Lets start by getting some temp heat in there. Letting the faucets run at a dribble will help also, but without heat, you run the risk of freezing up a sewer line, uuuhhgg! If you are in a trailer house, heat in the living area won't do any good without circulating that heat through the ductwork in the belly of the trailer. So, as Ball asked, is the blower on you furnace still functional? If so, set up some electric heaters, turn on an oven and open the door, find a heat source, and fast. Use the fan blower to help circulate the heater around the dwelling. Do whatever it takes to keep from freezing the place up until you can get the standard heat back on, or risk literally thousands of dollars worth of damage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pipes freezing [ 0 Answers ]

Our heater has not been working efficiently lately, and when we had it checked out, the HVAC guy mentioned we might be keeping our furnace set too low to avoid frozen pipes. He wasn't sure what we should keep it set at, though, as he's never lived in a cold climate before. My question is, how low...

Freezing pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Dose the rubber insulation rap help the pipes from freezing and if so how much, what is the R factor. Also there is two types, Soft and ridget what is the best and why

Freezing Pipes [ 7 Answers ]

My husband tells me that if you do not have cast iron pipes that you do not have to worry about your pipes freezing in the winter. Is that true? If water expands when it freezes, then it makes sense to me that it doesn't matter what kind of pipes you have. The reason I ask is because we are...

Pipes freezing? [ 1 Answers ]

It's winter here now and this is the only time it happens. Some days I won't get any water up to my room on the second floor. But also sometimes the pump for the toilet won't start running? I have no idea about plumbing so could someone diagnose the problem for me?

Keeping pipes from freezing [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I purchased a fix up home in another state and need to know how to bleed the pipes so that they don't freeze. I don't live in the area-do I need a plumber? The house has well and septic tank. Thanks!

View more questions Search