Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KMC6296 Posts: 94, Reputation: 2

Feb 15, 2015, 01:30 PM
    Salary Exempt
    I live in California and have been with my company for 10 years. I am classified as a salary exempt exempt employee and last week was told that we no longer have designated sick and vacation hours but now all our hours are lumped together as PTO.

The new requirement is that I punch the time clock and any weeks I work less than 40 hours I will have my PTO hours deducted. Here is where I am confused... I asked our "HR" manager (aka the owner's wife) if I work more than 40 hours do I get paid overtime or do I bank those additional hours? - answer = "NO". So if they are only paying me for the hours I clock and I take calls outside those clocked hours then I am not getting paid for them. Is this correct?

Thank you :)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 15, 2015, 01:50 PM
    Being exempt means you do not get over time. However, we would need to know more about your duties and the company to say much more. Also, why you did not work a full 40 hours is an important test to see if you are treated fairly.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 15, 2015, 04:38 PM
    I don't see how you can be called exempt anymore. You sound hourly to me!

I would go into the office and as nicely as possible get this spelled out in writing. They may not be following the law. They can't (as far as I know) let you work <40 hours one week and 40> another week to make up 'regular' hours.

Come back and tell us exactly what you are told in writing. I for one am not going to refresh my knowledge of the law until you do.

Why anyone would agree to work OT for free is beyond me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salary exempt and forced time off [ 1 Answers ]

I am a salaried - exempt worker at a company in Nebraska. During slow times lately, the company has forced people to take off a certain number of days in a given period. To be paid for the time off, the company allows employees to use personal days or vacation time. My question is what...

Salary exempt, office open 8 to 5, M through F. [ 1 Answers ]

I live in and work in CA. I was told that I am a salary exempt employee. I am the Administrative Service Manager- basically the office manager. We are open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Closed on Saturday and Sunday. Can I be asked to work evening hours and weekends if so how much...

2 questions about exempt salary pay [ 9 Answers ]

1. Can a company, in the state of Virginia, not pay you for not turning in a time sheet? 2. Can a company deduct pay for being late?

Exempt and non-exempt salary [ 2 Answers ]

I know that non-exempt salary employees are paid for overtime. What is the federal legal requirement for an exempt employee. i.e. management?

Salary Exempt -vs- Salary Non-Exempt [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know what makes a position Salary Exempt -vs- Non-Exempt.

View more questions Search