Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Trishala Raj Posts: 95, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2015, 08:52 AM
    Box 10 in W2
    I had enrolled in dependent care benefits FSA and contributed $5000 this last year. I have 2 kids. Age 3 who goes to day care and another 10 month baby who is at home with my spouse. Spouse does not work.

In my w2 box 10, the amount is $5000. The tax software is adding this amount to my wages. Will I be taxed on this amount as my spouse did not work . I just thought that child care expenses I could not claim and that I was eligible for the pre tax dollars in my FSA .

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 15, 2015, 12:35 PM
    Sorry, but you should have checked into the rules better before setting up the FSA.

To use the child care FSA, you MUST be eligible to claim the Child Care Credit, and to be eligible, your husband must either work, be attending school at least half-time, or be so disabled that he cannot care for the child.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2015, 02:25 PM
    One key thing here is "spouse does not work", not "disabled". Why doesn't spouse work or take care of the children?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 16, 2015, 03:01 PM
    Actually, there are many positive effects of sending children to day care. Studies have shown day care kids tend to have better social skills, are less afraid to try new things, and other positive side effects.

Many parents are advised to put their kids into day care even if one of the parents are always at home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

White wire is hot in the switch box. How do I supplu other switches in the same box [ 9 Answers ]

It seems the power and neutral are in the light box. I have 3 other devices I need power for in the switch box. Can I use the ground as the nuetral so I can get a the current to travel. I will not have a ground from this point on since I will use it for the nuetral. Is this okay to do. It...

What is the cost of updating a fuse box (4 fuses) to a 200 amp box [ 1 Answers ]

Just need a rough estimate of costs.

The kings minter boxes coins 100 to a box. In each box he puts 1 false coin. [ 1 Answers ]

The king's minter boxes coins 100 to a box. In each box he puts 1 false coin. The king suspects the minter and from each of the 100 boxes drws a random coin and has it tested. What is the probablity that no "false" coins will be found?

Combo box/list box/drop down box [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question for you in regards to a list box in a query. I have a form that I am using and want to give the users some options on what years they want to pull data from. So I was thinking about creating a list box or drop down box that would display the available years, when they highlighted...

View more questions Search