Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joeyready Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2015, 12:38 AM
    My cockatiel has a bleeding foot what do I do
    Katie my female bird started to bleed on the foot after she had a fights with angel my other female cockatiel and I don't know what to do please help?!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2015, 10:10 AM
    Go to your vet.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 15, 2015, 04:38 PM
    Can you post a picture? How bad is the bleeding?

Separate her from the other bird, put her in a separate cage so she can heal. Make sure that the cage is kept very clean so that no feces or urine, or other debris can infect the wound. Use newspaper for the bottom of the cage, and replace it daily.

Just make sure the wound is clean, just clean it with warm water. Watch the wound. If it swells, or starts to look sore, then it's infected. Birds are usually pretty resilient about these kind of things, but the things mentioned above will help a great deal.

If the wound doesn't heal normally, or she picks at it (some birds will pick at a wound to the point where they actually remove body parts from all the picking), then you'll have to go to the vet. Make sure to research vets in your area because not all vets specialize in birds.

Please keep me posted on how she's doing.

Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Go to your vet.
    Ma, having had birds all my life, and been around birds all my life (my Opa bred budgies and cockatiels), I can say that the vet, albeit an option for most other pets, isn't that easy when you're dealing with a bird.

Just the trip to the vet can kill a bird. The stress, the cold from the house to the car, other birds at the clinic if you're lucky enough to find a vet that knows anything about birds, are all things to consider.

Let's say this is a dog, and the dog gets a scratch on his foot, it bleeds. Do you instantly run to the vet? Of course not, not unless stitches are required, or he's limping.

Most cuts can be cured at home, and when dealing with a bird that should be the first course of action.

Go to the vet is not always the answer. :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 15, 2015, 04:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Go to the vet is not always the answer. :)
    Just like humans. Telling them to go to the doctor is not always the answer;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sharp pain - right foot / outside of right foot just before arch of foot [ 3 Answers ]

Started in December when I had done a day's worth of Christmas shopping. Pain got so bad that it just hurt to walk / any pressure. Went to doctor and got some pain med - no x-rays / he didn't really do anything other than listen to what I had to say about it. Now it's roughly 3 months later and...

Foot pain side of foot, feels painful but better when I squeeze my foot [ 4 Answers ]

It is midway down my right foot and only foot massage seems to apease it, but itsgetting worse and hurts earlier and earlier each evening. The central point is midway and for the ultimate in relief is to squeeze my feet down the sides, but that also sends me into agony once squeezed, but the long...

Cockatiel eggs [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question for you... I tried candling and the eggs have a yoke and air sack but I don't see veins. When I put one of them in water in sank. Not toally but the was a small part of it on the bottm of the bowl. Do I fertile eggs or not

What to feed a cockatiel [ 13 Answers ]

My niece found a cockatiel in the mountains. She said she held her arm out and it came to her. Lord only knows where it came from because she is from a very rural area. She went to the store and bought seeds for it but she said that it only picks out certain ones and eats them. I need suggestions...

New male cockatiel [ 3 Answers ]

I just got a male cockaiel for my female!! I put a nesting box inside of the cage. The male is biting aroung the opening of the hole and he is whistling to her and preening her, but they will not go in the nest or I have not seen them mate. Can you tell me what is going on please??

View more questions Search