Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ERH81 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2015, 04:57 AM
    HIPAA violation or no?
    I worked with a gentlemen who passed away. He was very open about his illness. My only knowledge of his illness is through him disclosing it to myself & another coworker in a personal conversation. I wrote a farewell message, briefly mentioning cancer on my personal social networking page. Some coworkers have gone to my boss & stated that I violated HIPAA because at my job, I help verify that members (not coworkers, as was he) are eligible for health insurance.
    I do not work with medical claims. I have never seen any of this person's private health records, nor worked on his insurance eligibility. My database does not even contain diagnosis info or medically specific info. I deleted the post and my whole page. Can I lose my job or face legal trouble for this? What can I do?

I should also say that he told us this info in casual conversation, outside of work, in no way related to anything regarding work.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 13, 2015, 06:56 AM
    Unless you can prove that you obtained info about his diagnosis directly from him and voluntarily, or that you have no access to diagnosis info from the medical records you have access to, you could be in trouble. But from what you have said, you don't have such access.

It sounds like some of your co-workers have it in for you, maybe over the OT issue.

Feb 13, 2015, 07:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Unless you can prove that you obtained info about his diagnosis directly from him and voluntarily, or that you have no access to diagnosis info from the medical records you have access to, you could be in trouble. But from what you have said, you don't have such access.

It sounds like some of your co-workers have it in for you, maybe over the OT issue.
    You are quite perceptive. They are digging.

I can prove that the information was not obtained in any way in relation to my job.

There was someone else with us when the gentlemen shared his story with us, outside of work. Who verifies this info was obtained through personal correspondence.
    So sad.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 13, 2015, 08:58 AM
    HIPAA violation or no?
    No.

Can I lose my job or face legal trouble for this?
    Can you be sued or prosecuted? No. Can you loose your job? If your job is "at will" (and most are), perhaps.

Feb 13, 2015, 11:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    No.

Can you be sued or prosecuted? No. Can you loose your job? If your job is "at will" (and most are), perhaps.
    Would I have a case against the company or anyone else if I was fired stemming from these false accusations?
    As Scott mentioned above, these accusations are ultimately rooted in the ire around me questioning procedures that violate wage and hour laws.
    I've apparently made enemies and they're looking for anything, even the death of a sweet man.
    I've got money tied up in retirement plans that is not yet vested that I stand to lose here so I'm trying to tread lightly.
    I didn't expect the private wage & hour conversation to leave my bosses office, but it did.

Feb 13, 2015, 12:22 PM
    If you can prove you were fired for committing a HIPAA violation and this is the violation, you might have a case. But that's not going to be easy. They can fire you for almost any reason. They can trump up something that would be hard for you to disprove.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 13, 2015, 12:41 PM
    Would I have a case against the company or anyone else if I was fired stemming from these false accusations?
    Probably. It's called defamation.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 13, 2015, 01:51 PM
    I doubt if they fired you that they would word the reason in a way you could easily profit from.

Feb 13, 2015, 02:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    I doubt if they fired you that they would word the reason in a way you could easily profit from.
    Bingo!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPAA violation? [ 6 Answers ]

I am a medical practitioner who informed my employer of a problem I have. They pulled my medical records and used them against me.I was fired. I gave no one permission to look at my files. None of them had treated me.

Is it a hipaa violation? [ 3 Answers ]

Is it a HIPAA violation to have a NICU with windows where family AND non-family members can see into the NICU and view babies? The windows have shades that CAN be drawn but often aren't. It seems this would violate HIPAA in that people who have nothing to do with the patient's care can know who...

Hipaa violation [ 12 Answers ]

I took a drug test at work but opted to quit prior to the results,few days later a fellow employee told me the operation manager disclosed my results,I work for an ambulance company,If this information gets out I can never work in the field again,, I just don't know how to handle this any ideas?

Is this a hipaa violation [ 1 Answers ]

I work for an office that has patient files on desks and the hipaa sign in sheets out for anyone to see. The doctor doesn't seem to think this is a problem and when I bring it to her attention she bites my head off. This is very upsetting to me, am I wrong?

HIPAA violation? [ 5 Answers ]

I am active duty military and we are always told that we are protected by HIPAA. The other day I found out my medical provider told a joke about me to other medical staff regarding one of my diagnosed medical conditions. Is this considered a HIPAA violation?

View more questions Search