Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    duaned Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2015, 08:32 AM
    Breaker load in main panel
    I have a main panel that is 225 amp rated. The amp value of each breaker in the panel add up to more than the 225. The amperage draw on the panel with everything running is approx. 150 amps. Is this legal or do need to add another panel? What is OSHA's ruling on this?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 12, 2015, 09:12 AM
    I have a main panel that is 225 amp rated. The amp value of each breaker in the panel add up to more than the 225
    That situation is perfectly normal and usual.
    The controlling authority is not OSHA, it is NEC (National Electric Code)

Breaker values are the maximum safe amperage draw for each circuit, not the amperage being used.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you install a main breaker in a type BR200 amp main lug load center? [ 1 Answers ]

want to install interlock device for connecting generator.

Sub panel load size from main panel 200 amp to 100sub 350 ft [ 1 Answers ]

Wire conduit size fromm a main 200 amp panel to a 100 amp sub panel 350 ft away

Can a 100 amp load center be used as a sub panel with a 60amp main breaker? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I`m triying to add a sub panel to my existing main panel. There is no more room in the main panel for circuit breakers and I wanter a sub panel with at least 10 more spaces.

What is always LIVE/HOT in main panel w/main breaker off? [ 4 Answers ]

We are going to be putting a dedicated 20A/12-2 wire receptacle in the basement for our treadmill. When we are putting in the new 20A breaker, we are concerned with what is 'live' in the service panel. I know the 2 service wires are hot before the main but is there a chance anything else may be...

Load Center Main Lug or Main Breaker for the Attic [ 5 Answers ]

I have a large attic (on 3rd floor), 38'x28', which is unfinished space. The 2nd floor central air-condition is located there and used to be fed by a 60 feet of 12/3 cable (I changed the cable to 10/3 to reduce the chance of voltage drop) and it's fed by a dual 15A breaker (240v breaker) in the...

View more questions Search