Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Perellot Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2015, 03:40 PM
    Empty tank in the morning
    My tenant says in the morning the toilet tank is empty. After flushing it refills. Apparently it is fine until the next morning. What could be the problem?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 11, 2015, 04:29 PM
    For the tank to be empty you need two problems at the same time. The only way for the tank to leak down is a bad flapper. However, you would also have to have a bad ball cock which should be refilling the tank when it gets low.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 11, 2015, 04:41 PM
    Which type of toilet does he have?

hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 11, 2015, 07:24 PM
    After flushing it refills
    If the tank is empty how can he flush?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 11, 2015, 07:35 PM
    I am going to take wild shot at this and suggest it may be the bowl that is empty, not the tank. A bowl can be siphoned dues to a clogged vent stack but you can still flush it each morning.
    Mike45plus Posts: 230, Reputation: 27

Feb 12, 2015, 05:11 AM
    There are at least two more ways for tanks to empty. A re - fill pipe, that is stuffed to far down the overflow tube, can siphon water from the tank; this pipe should be aimed into the overflow with an air gap between it and the top of the overflow tube. The rubber flush valve gasket can soften /erode, often due to high concentrations of chlorine. A failed flush valve gasket / connection can leak small amounts of water from the tank to the bowl - enough to empty the tank overnight, however, as mentioned by ballengerb, there may be a problem with the ballcock if the tank is not refilling...
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 17, 2015, 05:47 PM
    And another obvious answer, if it is indeed the bowl, not the tank, and the tenants have dogs, the dogs are drinking the stinking water, lol, happens every day at my house.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 17, 2015, 05:51 PM
    Where you been MGD? Welcome back.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2015, 12:00 AM
    Yep MGD we been worry about you welcome back, Thanks.

John
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 20, 2015, 04:33 PM
    Just been extremely busy with the business. Things are going good, stressful, but good. Good to see you guys still around. Lee.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tank is empty [ 1 Answers ]

Suddenly my well water pressure is low and my diaphragm well tank is completely empty. It will not fill yet I still have water to the house. D Dees

How to empty gas tank and flush tank in craftsman lawn tractor model # 917.272480 [ 0 Answers ]

I need to drain my gas tank and flush it out because plastic shavings have gotten into the tank how and what do I use to actually flush the tank out? Can we just use water or is there something special to use?"

Toilet tank always empty [ 1 Answers ]

I have a toilet that flushes properly, and then several hours later the tank is empty. The toilet is not running. I have a Korky Brand unit inside the toilet that has a up and down valve assembly that fills the tank. I also use a Fluidmaster bleach type bowl cleaner that is attached to the back...

My Back Tank Will Not Empty [ 2 Answers ]

I turn off the water valve from the wall to the toilet, flush the toilet, it goes down until there is about 3 inches of water left and it’s still running. Than it slowly fills back up. I live in a condo, so I don’t know if I have a main valve to turn off all the water. What I need to do is to...

My header tank is empty [ 4 Answers ]

My hot water is running really slow but my cold water seems OK, I looked into the header tank and its almost empty what do I do?

View more questions Search