Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sheriejac Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2015, 12:57 PM
    Electric furnace elements burn out
    We had an ICP electric furnace installed Nov 2013. It has burned up two elements... one in March 2014 and another in Dec 2014. Our electric bills are extremely high. HVAC rep has changed out element each time (so we are on our third element) and uses an amp meter and says it measures correctly. We had a certified electrician test usage in idle mode and forced load. The power company just replaced the meter and also tested the draw and indicated that the furnace is making a huge draw when it kicks in and runs.
    What is causing the elements to burn out and why is the HVAC rep unable to detect the problem?
    bitters Posts: 348, Reputation: 12

Feb 11, 2015, 01:03 PM
    Do you have a heat pump? How many elements does the furnace have. Is it the same element that burns up?
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2015, 07:22 PM
    The most common causes of elements burning out are the wiring being too small or loose, & lack of air flow. Please define "huge draw".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric furnace fan runs no heat limit switches and heating elements ohmed good [ 0 Answers ]

York eb10b split system any ideas will be helpful

I have a whirlpool electric water heater that doesn't work. How do I change elements? [ 14 Answers ]

I have a whirlpool electric water heater that doesn't work. How do I change elements? Do I have to drain the unit first? Is there any other reason why it would not work? The breaker box is not tripped. Thank you.

Lennox cb29m 46 electric heater elements and sequencers [ 0 Answers ]

Turned on the furnace for the first time this year and the air from my registers is warm but not hot. How do I test my lennox cb29m 46 electric heater elements and sequencers

Old electric furnace elements [ 8 Answers ]

Greetings, I have an old electric furnace in my attic that keeps burning up heating elements. This is a very old unit and unfortunately I cannot locate the mfg/model information on the unit. I'm estimating it to be 20+ years old. I have purchased replacement "restring" kits (Napco D500)...

Frigidaire electric stove model cfef357cs2 elements in oven will not work [ 2 Answers ]

Fridigidaire stove digital panel elements in oven will not come on the elements themselves are fine

View more questions Search