Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Salmat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2015, 05:22 PM
    Law regarding engagement rings in Ontario, Canada
    Hi

I am Australian that meet my girl friend in Canada in 2014, she was meet to come out here in feb 2015. She push to have an engagement ring had I paid $6000 for the main diamond. We broke up and no she will not return my money.

What rights do I have, as I'm not making ends meet at the moment.

Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 10, 2015, 07:06 PM
    It was a gift. While ethically she should return it. I suspect you were scammed.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2015, 07:10 PM
    Depends on the jurisdiction. You most likely won't get the money back but:
    Just a few years ago, the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania stuck steadfastly to the no-fault reasoning and decreed that the donor should always get the ring back if the engagement is broken off, regardless of who broke it off or why. Lindh v. Surman, 742 A.2d 643 (Pa. 1999). Over 20 other states have the same rule.
    Unfortunately you are not in the US.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 10, 2015, 07:22 PM
    An engagement ring is a promise to marry. If the marriage doesn't take place the fiancé that got the ring is required to return the ring. She's not required to pay for the ring unless she plans to keep it.

Try small claims court if she won't return the ring.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 11, 2015, 06:06 AM
    I don't think this is codifed, but more a matter of case law.

But I still think you were scammed. That she has sold the ring and disappeared.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 11, 2015, 09:44 AM
    It's unclear whether OP is in Australia or Ontario, but even if he is in Ontario suing her will probably cost more than what it's worth, and chances are that he won't ever recover the money in any event. I'd chalk it up to experience, if I were him.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 11, 2015, 08:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Salmat View Post
    What rights do I have, as I'm not making ends meet at the moment.
    Not a legal answer but I have to point this out... If you are not making ends meet, then maybe you should have thought about paying $6,000 for a ring. Sadly, it just seems like an expensive learning lesson.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 11, 2015, 08:25 PM
    Good point Odinn. Had to spread the rep.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 12, 2015, 05:43 AM
    Yes, in the US, there are various states with specific laws for engagement rings.
    I agree that it will cost more than the ring is worth to try to sue internationally, even if AU and the province she is in have laws. Winning is one thing; getting paid is another.

And I agree that this was an expensive learning experience. You could have said "Let's pick out the ring together when you get here."
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 12, 2015, 05:50 AM
    If she isn't coming to where you are at, and you aren't going where she is, suing for the ring, or it's value, is futile. She probably pawned it by now anyway, so chalk it up as a lesson learned and get your life together without her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scamming law against contractors in ontario, canada [ 0 Answers ]

A contractor began work on an extensive renovation - adding a second storey addition. After 10 days - they left the home exposed to water damage - freak storm blew in and poured into the house. Stuff happens - I wanted to have his insurance information to put in a claim - he wanted to fix it...

Is a will valid if living comman law in ontario, canada? [ 4 Answers ]

If your common law partner has you as his beneficiary for pension/life ins/rrsp's (& vice a versa). Are you entitled to it without any family member on his side disputing it? If your partner owns a home in his name, and there is no will, can his family or the estate take it from you. Have been...

Can Engagement rings be worn always? [ 23 Answers ]

I just proposed to my girlfriend last night and she said yes. I have never been more happier. Anyway, Can they be worn always? Like to sleep or what? I don't know what is normal. Do most women take them off when they go to sleep? It just doesn't seem normal to me, but if anyone can help it would be...

Engagement rings [ 10 Answers ]

Does a woman in Virginia have to get back an egagement ring back?

What rights do I have, common law relationship, Ontario, Canada? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been in a common law relationship for over 16 years and left her 6 months ago. We have 2 children together ages 14 and 8 almost 9. I purchased a condo 7 years ago and the deed is in my name alone. I have been paying for all household bills and condo fees as well as the groceries. She has...

View more questions Search