Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aparna_ash_shri Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 03:35 PM
    Need info
    Hi
    I live in Texas . I am on F1 visa status working for university for 20 hrs. My husband is on H1 b. We need to file taxes . My first question is do we need to file taxes jointly or separately.since I am on F1 visa status I get 100% tax withheld tax back. But how to do if I'm filing jointly with my husband . Do I need to sign some US treaty . I'm confused .
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Apr 9, 2007, 04:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aparna_ash_shri
    Hi
    I live in Texas . I am on F1 visa status working for university for 20 hrs. My husband is on H1 b. We need to file taxes . My first question is do we need to file taxes jointly or separately.since I am on F1 visa status I get 100% tax witheld tax back. But how to do if i m filing jointly with my husband . do i need to sign some US treaty . i m confused .
    You are non-resident, your husband is a resident. You can only file jointly if you elect to be a resident for the year.

If you don't make the election then you must each file as married but not jointly.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 17, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Well said, TTE!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need some info [ 3 Answers ]

Hello; What website , can I go 2 , for senior citizens . Thank you Joseph21

Anyone have any info on this for me? [ 1 Answers ]

We have been unable to locate records on the puppy we adopted so we took him to the vet. The initial visit went well she said he is a prime example of a dauchaund. Not fat and full of energy. They took a stool sample though to verify things. Well today the vet called to say our dog has Giardia ?...

Wrong Info on W-2 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My name and social security number are incorrect on my W-2. Should I file as is and make any attachments of proof? Any help would be great

View more questions Search