Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    creativegoth Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Feb 9, 2015, 02:20 AM
    Anti virus software.
    What is the best FREE anti software to use on my computer?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 9, 2015, 02:33 AM
    You get what you pay for in most cases.
    There are many free anti-virus programs available, some are better then others and they are regularly changing.

What version of windows is this for ?

Feb 9, 2015, 08:40 AM
    Windows 8.1.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2015, 09:22 AM
    I have always trusted the info from this site that documents free software: Best Free Antivirus Software
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 9, 2015, 02:17 PM
    Think about it... A/V software works by detecting the signature of viruses. To detect the signature, the signature has to be in the A/V software's database of signatures. That's why A/V software is constantly being updated. If the software has no revenue how will they pay for the research to constantly find virus, get the signatures and release updates?

I wouldn't trust a freebie to protect my computer.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 9, 2015, 06:22 PM
    Avast has high ratings as well as AVG...both have free versions.

Feb 11, 2015, 03:05 AM
    I read Computer Active, is it true, in it, it said that Window's 10, will be a Free download, will it work on my 8.1 computer, without slowing it?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 11, 2015, 06:08 AM
    Yes, Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for the first year of release. And if you purchased a computer with 8.1 it will run fine.

Feb 12, 2015, 01:06 AM
    Thanks!. Much appreciated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the best anti virus software for an HP laptop [ 1 Answers ]

I have gone trough two HP computers all infected with viruses despite the fact I had virus protection. Was is the best anti virus protection in the market today? If there is none my next laptop is going to be a MAC since I don't see to many Mac users going over multiple laptops due to viruses...

Every time I turn on my moms computer there is a ad for anti-virus software. [ 2 Answers ]

Every time I turn on my moms computer there is a ad for anti-virus software. There is no way to close it or click anything else on her computer. The Green Start isn't there. The only thing you can do is click on the purchase button and it takes you to a credit card order form. I can't seem to get...

Cannot download anti virus software [ 4 Answers ]

On trying to down load mcafee anti virus software, I get the message:- Having trouble installing Mcafee Software because JAVASCRIPT is not working correctly on your PC, Can anyone help rony4431

Is It BEST to purchase an Anti-Virus Software than Downloading from the Net [ 2 Answers ]

Ok here is the problem. I just got a new laptop more than a week ago and I'm currently running it on Windows Vista, basically I really want to protect my computer from viruses. My question is, what's better? Purchasing an Anti-Virus software OR Downloading from the Net?. Right now I'm not...

View more questions Search