Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2015, 03:32 PM
    Sick Pet
    Poor elderly neighbor who lives alone, has a sick cockatiel(Polly) , looks like a
    Black cyst under its wing. Lady doesn't have much money
    Or anything else. Only her bird and her. Cannot afford a vet.
    I guess there is no home remedy or treatment. Any advice
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 8, 2015, 04:11 PM
    How can we advise pastor! Anything we suggest would not be appropriate. Can't your parishioners take up a collection for a vet visit, or do you not have a following ! Surely you have read enough posts here to know we can't diagnose!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 8, 2015, 04:18 PM
    Unless a cat is to eat her bird, I have moved this question from the Cats category to the Birds category.

Pastor, there is no way we can advise you on how to treat this. As an adult you should know that it takes proper testing and hands on to properly diagnose.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2015, 04:47 PM
    If there is a local humane society, have her contact them. Many will have low cost services on the premises or know of low cost vet care in the area. There are some programs available for those who can not pay, or who need to have a payment plan. They would be able to provide that information. Her local vet may be able to work something out for her if she contacts them.
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2015, 05:14 PM
    Thank you so much. Sorry Couldn't find a ornithology category.
    Will offer the widow your recommendations.
    God Bless
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 15, 2015, 04:59 PM
    I'm no vet, but I do know quite a bit about birds, especially cockatiels.

Pastor, can you post a picture of the "cyst"?

Also a picture of the cage the bird is in will be helpful.

Cycsts aren't that common in birds. Sounds to me like the bird was exercising its wings (something even birds that are not allowed to fly freely do), and may have caught it on something. The darkness may be clotted blood from an injury.

I'd be willing to take a look at a picture of the "cyst", but know that I'm not a vet and anything I say is only a guess, not a diagnosis.
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2015, 03:43 AM
    I will try to get it. There are two male birds in the cage.
    One is younger and the other is older.
    Pets Expert

Feb 16, 2015, 03:34 PM
    Ahhh, two males. How long have they been in the cage together? Is it a big cage?

Males normally don't get along very well with each other, they tend to fight, and fighting can cause injuries. Now I'm even more concerned that this isn't a cyst but an injury.

Males can learn to live together peacefully, but it's a slow process, you have to introduce them slowly. If you just put them in the same cage with each other, it can be deadly. Same with a female and male. You always have to take it slow. Cockatiels are very picky about who they befriend. Even if you have a female that is ready to mate, and a male that's ready to mate, doesn't mean they'll get along just because they're male and female. They're a lot like humans, they have to bond with each other for the relationship to work, and not all pairs will bond.

At this time I'd separate them until Polly has time to heal. If she doesn't have a second cage look at local flea markets, or online, most people get rid of cages they no longer need, for free. If you give me her general area I'll do a search and see if I can find a free or cheap cage for her.

If this is due to an injury than it's best to separate them. If they don't get along and one is injured, it's weak, and the other will likely attack again. Make sure she keeps the cage clean, use newspaper for the bottom of the cage and change it daily, lots of water, high nutrition food. She should also look into getting vitamin supplements. Walmart has them for a reasonable price where I live, some are in food form, others are drops that you put in the water.

I hope that I'm right and it's just an injury, but like I said, I'm not a vet, and I haven't even seen the wound, so I'm just guessing based on having had birds all my life, currently have two cockatiels of my own.

Another add. When introducing two males to each other you have to get a new cage, you cannot put a new male in the same cage as your current bird. That's his territory, and they'll both fight over that territory. The strongest one wins.

When introducing a female and male you never put the female in the males cage, he'll attack her. Always put the male into the females space, then he won't fight for his territory, because it isn't his territory, and the female isn't territorial, so it increases that chances that they'll bond.
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2015, 04:18 PM
    The birds have always got along never fight . Mary has told me the bird has dropped to the bottom of the cage.
    Pets Expert

Feb 16, 2015, 11:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pastor1189 View Post
    The birds have always got along never fight . Mary has told me the bird has dropped to the bottom of the cage.
    Oh no. If it's dropped to the bottom than it's getting ready to die. It probably won't last the night. At this point even a vet wouldn't be able to do anything to help. I'm sorry.
    Pets Expert

Feb 19, 2015, 07:12 PM
    Pastor, how is it going? How is the bird doing? Please let me know.
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2015, 05:07 AM
    Bird sometimes sit on lower perch,seems to be paralysis in one foot.
    Black area under the wing. Bird is very old, compared to the younger
    She has, who is oblivious to the older bird,s condition.Hoping for the best, but prepared for the worst.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pet deposit refund/pet dies [ 3 Answers ]

If the pet dies when is the deposit returned?

Pet rent and pet deposit for medical companion [ 4 Answers ]

If you have a companion dog for medical reasons and live in a pet friendly apartment complex, by law are they allowed to charge monthly pet rent and a pet security deposit?

Pet Deposit or Pet Fee in Rental Agreement [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a maximum amount to charge for a pet when renting an apartment in the state of Georgia? Should the pet fee be refundable or non-refundable?

Introducing new pet kitten to old pet bull dog [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone know if there's a proper procedure for introducing a 10-week old kitten to a 5-year old, 80 pound, English bulldog? The bulldog's been a little snappy around puppies. Not sure how he'll react to a new kitten in the house.

Loss of a Pet causing distress on another pet [ 1 Answers ]

Our 4 year old cocker spaniel has experienced the loss of her best friend, our 14 year old Dalmatian. She is exhibiting behaviors that we are not sure how to deal with. She refuses to go onto a tile floor such as the ones in the bathroom or kitchens, and is peeing and pooping in the house quite...

View more questions Search