Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Feb 7, 2015, 03:23 PM
    Estimated Taxes?
    @ATE
    If, you are retired and your only income is your retirement MRD and SS, and you have not taken money from your Investments until the end of the year are you required to make payments in Mar. June or Sept etc.(dates not accurate just as an example)? Or is it okay to make it in the last quarter of the year??
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 7, 2015, 05:41 PM
    You can make the payments at the end of the year. If you owe more than $1,000, but you file your return by 31 January 2015 (for the 2014 return), you can settle up without making any 15 Jan 15 estimated payment without penalty.

If your total tax owed on your tax return is $1,000 or less, NO estimated payments are due at all.

Feb 7, 2015, 06:06 PM
    Not sure I understand. Say my RMD is $15,000 and because I have enough cash on hand to hold me until Nov, Dec 0f 2015 and I take it out during that period, do I need to make EST Tax payments on the 15K in the 4 quarters prior to the withdrawl?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2015, 06:14 PM
    Here's what I do. I have Vanguard make the RMD monthly, send it to Prime Money Market acct, after taxes, and then when I want cash, I write a MM check. You don't need to make any estimated tax filings.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 7, 2015, 06:18 PM
    I agree IF the $15,000 is your only income. However, combined with Social Security and OTHER pension benefits, the OP's overall annual income is probably considerably MORE than $15K, which means an estimated tax payment IS needed unless he/she files before 31 Jan 15 and settles up.

Feb 7, 2015, 06:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Here's what I do. I have Vanguard make the RMD monthly, send it to Prime Money Market acct, after taxes, and then when I want cash, I write a MM check. You don't need to make any estimated tax filings.
    I had a friend who did it that way. I no longer have Vanguard. My situation is for Tax Year 2015. Today is Feb 7, 2015 and my plan is to remove $15K RMD on Dec 1, 2015. Do I need to file Est Tax for each of the 3 quarters up to the RMD?

In past years, I have taken the RMD in Jan or Feb of the year and paid the due tax, now I want to wait until the end of the year to do it.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 7, 2015, 08:06 PM
    You can make the estimated tax payment in the month you GET the money. You do NOT have to make the payment before then.

Feb 7, 2015, 08:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    You can make the estimated tax payment in the month you GET the money. You do NOT have to make the payment before then.
    Thanks, ATE that is what I wanted to know. Taxes are bad enough, and the thought of having to pay taxes ahead of time for money not yet received. I think, it would be a little over the top.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 7, 2015, 10:13 PM
    Many people do it all of the time in ignorance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sole Proprietor in CA Question for Estimated taxes % [ 3 Answers ]

I am a sole proprieter paid as 1099. Can someone provide me an estimated % for State of CA Self Employment Tax and IRS Self Employment Tax Please? Just a rough estimate as close to accurate filing as single no children as well.

How to avoid estimated taxes without penalty [ 3 Answers ]

I will have several changes to my tax situation when filing next year including: Status changing from Single to Married Filing Jointly Will be making individual contributions to an HSA Expect to buy a house to take advantage of $8,000 home buyer credit Worked first 6 months of year on 1099...

NJ bothering me for interest on Estimated Taxes [ 2 Answers ]

Since we are retired, we did not have much income throughout the year 2007. However. In Dec 2007, I did a few Roth conversions which added substantially to our income. I promptly paid 100% of our 2006 Federal and NJ taxes to Federal and NJ as Estimated Taxes for 2007 before January 15, 2008. ...

Estimated taxes for F-1 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am an F-1 student, but for 2007, it will be my sixth year here, so I will be filing as a resident for tax purposes next year. I know this is thinking far ahead, but I am concerned about estimated taxes. I am working under OPT as contractor for 2 companies, and will probably earn a total...

Estimated Taxes for 2007 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, How to pay estimated taxes (federal, social security tax, Medicare tax and State tax) for year 2007. I see estimated tax calculation details on IRS site and is it includes only federal tax only or social security and Medicare taxes also. How to pay estimated tax for state. Thanks in...

View more questions Search