Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mladd1958 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2015, 05:29 PM
    Hypothyroidism and panic disorder
    I was recently diagnosed with panic disorder and am taking Lorazepam for that. I have now been told I have hypothyroidism. I will be having additional blood work done tomorrow for ts3 and rs4 levels, whatever that may means. I've been reading a lot about the meds that are usually prescribed for it, but they seem to have lots of side effects.

Does anyone have any experience with this or perhaps natural supplements that work? Did you have problems?

Are there more questions I should be asking my doctor? And should I see an endocrinologist?
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Feb 5, 2015, 08:11 AM
    Hypo == less. Hypothyroidism means that your thyroid glad is producing dangerously low amounts of hormone, anything that would be used to correct this will have the same side effects. This is also a serious enough disorder that you REALLY don't want to be messing around with "Natural" supplements to manage this. You will probably be given a synthetic thyroid hormone, which on depends on which type you have. These need to be taken religiously, even once you feel better. They're going to try to balance your system with the synthetic hormone. This is going to require MANY blood tests over the next couple years.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 5, 2015, 08:24 AM
    T3 and T4 aren't the only thyroid tests your doctor needs to perform for a proper diagnosis. You need your TSH and thyroxine to be tested as well. Natural supplements aren't going to correct hypothyroidism.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2015, 03:18 PM
    No "natural" supplements. There are "natural" thyroid drugs available, desiccated pig thyroid, which was used prior to Levothyroxine. However, Levothyroxine, the most common thyroid replacement drug is very well tolerated and is on the WHO's " list of the most important medication needed in a basic health system". The prescribed amount is in micrograms, a very small dose. My wife and 2 daughters both use Levothyroxine with no side effects. Talk to an endocrinologist.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have hypothyroidism [ 30 Answers ]

Hello,I'm 22 year old female and I am diagnosed with hypothyroidism I was on medication but I had allergic reaction to it, so I stopped it I don't want to start taking another medication is there any home remedies ? Please please help thanks!

Anankastic personality disorder with somatization disorder [ 0 Answers ]

I'm 25, a single man. My condition concerns me for many years. More than once I was appealing to neurologists and psychiatrists. Also I was myself researching some medical information. Doctors was making diagnoses: obsessive-compulsive disorder, anxiety-depressive syndrome with somatization...

Do I have a Panic Disorder? [ 2 Answers ]

HI, I am a 23 year-old male. My mother has suffered various mental illness for years now. Over the last year, it seems that my greatest fears are being realized: I may have inherited her illnesses. Several months ago I had a conflict with my girlfriend in which she asked me if I loved her,...

Panic Disorder [ 7 Answers ]

How can I get rid of panic disorder without medication?:(

Anxiety, Depression, Panic Disorder! [ 5 Answers ]

I feel like I no longer exsist Like if I am in a dream I can even go outside anymore Its messing up my life. What can I do?

View more questions Search