Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandi1004 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2015, 05:27 PM
    How to add deceased father to birth certificate in AZ?
    03Feb2014

Hello,
    We live in Phoenix, Az. She is on disability and can not afford the costs of testing and court fees. Baby daddy's parents, would love to see their 'only child, son's name on their grandson's birth certificate as well. Is there any programs here that would help with the costs ?

Please advise and other suggestions would be appreiciated too.

Thank you,
    Grandma'ma to Little J
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 3, 2015, 05:37 PM
    How old is the child? Have you checked with the Bureau of Vital Records in AZ to see what is involved in amending the birth certificate?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 3, 2015, 05:43 PM
    No, this site has no programs to pay for DNA tests, nor do I know of any site that will. The grandparents call all chip in for testing and court fees. The deceased father's father will need to have his DNA compared to the baby's DNA. Ask the Court what the costs are, and the process. It's not that expensive.
    sandi1004 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2015, 07:23 PM
    Thank you for replies
    Date correction... 03Feb2015
    Little J is 9 days old
    Grandparents are not able to assist in fees/costs as well.Was wondering if anyone knew of cost assistance programs here in Phoenix Az?
    Regards,
    Grandma'ma to Little J

Feb 4, 2015, 05:25 AM
    Cost assistance to get DNA tests? I sincerely doubt it. If the child is only 9 days old why was the father not listed? Again, have you checked with vital statistics for the requirements?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 4, 2015, 07:16 AM
    ... can not afford ... would love to see their 'only child, son's name on their grandson's birth certificate ...
    There are a lot of things I would love, but cannot afford. Same for most people. So?

A useless piece of paper is not something, like food, shelter, etc. which one needs.

Feb 4, 2015, 07:18 AM
    It might not be useless, there could be an inheritance issue.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 4, 2015, 07:28 AM
    I have a feeling that you have no idea what it will cost.
    There are countless vital causes out there, people suffering from life threatening conditions, and you want people to give you money for something that just doesn't tug at my heartstrings, and I doubt it does to anyone else either. I too wonder why mom couldn't be bothered to tell the hospital the father's name.
    Expert

Feb 4, 2015, 07:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    It might not be useless, there could be an inheritance issue.
    To enable the grandchild to inherit from the putative father? Extremely unlikely. Or from the putative grand-parents? Also unlikely (We are told they are virtually penniless); if they want to leave something to the child they simply could write a will to that effect. And in any event, a BC would not be necessary to prove paternity for probate purposes.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 4, 2015, 07:52 AM
    If the child is only 9 days old why was the father not listed?
    Most likely the father was not listed was because he passed prior to the birth of the child. For an unmarried couple to list a father, he would have to be present and show a valid ID.

There are no programs that I am aware of that assist with costs associated with determining paternity.
    Expert

Feb 4, 2015, 07:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J 9
    For an unmarried couple to list a father, he would have to be present and show a valid ID.
    I don't know if he would have had to be present, but in many states he would have to sign an affidavit of paternity. If he didn't and is now deceased, it is doubtful that a birth certificate can show him as the father, at any price.

Feb 4, 2015, 08:19 AM
    To enable the grandchild to inherit from the putative father?
    I'm thinking that, possibly, since the father may have died young, there might be a future insurance settlement. There is also the possibility of Social Security survivor benefits. Obviously just guesswork on my part, but certain possibilities.

But I certainly agree, that without DNA testing or an affidavit from the father, this may be difficult.
    Expert

Feb 4, 2015, 08:21 AM
    To sign an Affidavit of Paternity he would have to be present and show proof of identity.

This is typically done when the mother fills out the birth certificate information while still in the hospital.
    Expert

Feb 4, 2015, 08:37 AM
    In the end, there are no programs in place, that I know of, that will offset the costs of paternity testing as paternity testing is optional.
    Expert

Feb 4, 2015, 08:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I'm thinking that, possibly, since the father may have died young, there might be a future insurance settlement. There is also the possibility of Social Security survivor benefits. Obviously just guesswork on my part, but certain possibilities.
    All of those things can be worked around without a BC. Grandparents' desire for a BC seems to be merely for sentimental reasons. As I have suggested, sentiment is sometimes only for the well-off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to add my deceased fathers biological deceased father to his birth certificate. [ 1 Answers ]

How do I add my deceased fathers biological deceased father to his birth certificate his mom put her boyfriends name on it and I need to prove my native American heritage and my dads biological father was native American.

Deceased father's name on the birth certificate [ 19 Answers ]

My son passed away on 7-5-08, his girlfriend just gave birth to his daughter on 2-21-09. The social worker at the hospital (Kaiser) is telling us that our sons name cannot be on the baby's birth certificate. We live in California. The girlfriend is very upset and is refusing to sign the certificate...

Biological father is deceased, and not on birth certificate. [ 1 Answers ]

Three years ago I took a DNA test with myself,my mother, and appointed biological father. DNA Test Results showed that the appointed father whom was named on my birth certificate IS NOT MY BIOLOGICAL FATHER!! How can I go about getting my name changed on Birth Certificate. because my...

How can I add my daughters father to her birth certificate if he is deceased? [ 8 Answers ]

My daughter's father died when she was a year old. He wasn't on her birth certificate because I was very young (and dumb) when I had her. Is there any way to add him now. She is now 13 and wants his name. His family supports it.

Father not around at birth. Want to add him to birth certificate/change babies name [ 1 Answers ]

At the time I had my son 5 months ago his father was not in the picture so I opted to not give him his last name or put his name on the birth certificate... however now his father came back and we are working things out.. how do I go about changing the birth certificate and my sons last name... do...

View more questions Search