Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Backwoodsgirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2015, 11:45 AM
    Can I get custody of my great nephew?
    Hi I live in Dallas, Ga! My niece and her son live with me. I need to know what can I do about her leaving him in the bed by himself and left with a friend. She didn't tell me she was going to be gone. This was on a Thursday night/Friday morning around one AM. I have spoken with her two time's. She will not tell me where she is at, or when she is coming home. Here it is Monday and she still isn't here. I haven't talked to her since five pm Saturday.

Thanks. Just worried.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 2, 2015, 01:38 PM
    I expect you can apply for custody. You should speak with an attorney in Georgia, but in most states parents (such as your niece) are preferred, and it will take a strong showing that your great-nephew's welfare is threatened by her behavior. In this case, she left him with you, presumably a responsible adult. So it would be tough to show that this incident alone is sufficient to warrant giving you custody.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Texas law for great aunt getting custody of great niece and nephew from c.p.s.and mom [ 2 Answers ]

I had kinship of my great niece and nephew, now they are in foster care. I think they belong with a family member who knows them and they know. I just don't know how to go about getting them back in our life. Please help! I don't know how to get this started. Their mom don't seem to be even trying...

I have custody of my great niece and her mother is threatening to sue to get custody [ 5 Answers ]

What does a parent have to prove to regain custody from a relative

Pa adoption of my great niece or nephew [ 1 Answers ]

In the State of PA what steps do I have to do to adopt my great niece or nephew when they are born. My biological niece is having a baby in Dec. and is offering us to adopt it. Am I considered a "relative" by the law. Can I go through the same process as if it was my niece etc.

Custody of my little nephew [ 1 Answers ]

My nephew's girlfriend gave birth on Friday and dyfs took the baby because they found weed in the baby's blood and now I want to help by getting custody. How can I go about that.

Custody of my nephew [ 5 Answers ]

My nephew and my sister in-law live with my husband and I and she is very neglectful with a record. His father also neglects him also with a record. Both currently are abusing drugs and alcohol. How do I file for custody and not have him put in foster care until the dust settles? Both parents...

View more questions Search