Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CaptainPalapa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2015, 09:09 AM
    What expense account for a business buying a competitor?
    When one business buys another (in our case, a travel agency franchise, we are buying out another franchise owner), what "expense" (or otherwise) account does this go under? We are paying directly out of our business accounts. (I guess when I replace that money with personal funds, that'll be back to Owner's Investment)?

In our case, we aren't actually paying the other franchise owner anything, instead, we are paying the main franchise company a "transfer fee", basically.

With both our franchise agreements, you forfeit your outstanding commissions when you sell or discontinue. Our agreement with the other owner is to pay them 85% of their outstanding commissions when they come in. So they aren't at a total loss for the work they've done, just to get out of the business.

I assume we'll need to 1099 the other owner for all payments on those commissions.

Check out some similar questions!

Contra expense account [ 3 Answers ]

I have a member of our llc that borrowed a lot of money on personal credit cards to start and keep the business. He declared bankruptcy. All his debt was erased. The company had been paying the credit cards but also could not pay any longer, hence the personal bankruptcy. How do I write off...

How To Post Transfers from Business Account to Personal Account [ 1 Answers ]

I am new to accounting. My husbands business partner (who only worked the first few weeks of last year) transferred $20,000.00 from the business account into his own personal account in December. He did transfer back half. How do I post this using peachtree accounting?

Who do I account for depositing personal funds into my business account? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been in business for over 7 years. Over the past year I have had to stay afloat by transferring money from my personal account to my business account. I have reimbursed myself for most of the money. I am uncertain on how to reflect this in my books. Any advice?

What is the effect of reimbursed in an expense account [ 1 Answers ]

Reimbursed mary graham's business automobile expense for 1000 kilometers at $1.00 per km

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.