Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Jan 30, 2015, 01:15 PM
    Pop up opens then closes in millisecond...
    So today I started having an issue with a pop-up type thing opening and then immediately closing, like in a quarter second - so fast I can't even see what it says. It's more like a flash on the screen. It is happening randomly, when I'm on-line or not. I've just noticed that I get the blue circle (the 'I'm working on it' circle thing) by my curser and then like a quick flash near the toolbar right before it pops up then disappears. It's happened like 30 times that I've noticed so far... any thoughts??
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2015, 02:54 PM
    Yuck, I don't like the sound of that, it's typical of drive-by downloads sometimes. Best course of action is to use a browser with adbloking such as Chrome with the AdBlockPlus extension, then update your AV and do a full scan. Using th free Malwarebytes products is always a good idea as well.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 30, 2015, 02:56 PM
    Is there a color that you can associate with it? If a black square is popping up then the machine is trying to perform a dos function. You see this sometimes when doing an install. A little black screen will pop up and disappear quickly.

Have you made any program changes or has your virus/mlware detected anything lately?
    Movie Expert

Jan 30, 2015, 03:12 PM
    Thanks you two - so I would associate it with a black square, roughly 5''x5'', and in the middle, upper left of the screen (that sounds contradictory, I hope you know what I mean :) ). It just did it! Grrr... I just had Norton put on my computer last Thursday (was using avast before) because I did have a virus thing going on. I don't believe anything has been detected - not sure how to check that? (BTW - I may be pretty darn good at finding info for people, but I'm so not a tech person, so bear with me!) It just did it again!!
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jan 30, 2015, 06:32 PM
    Try running SUPERAntiSpyware | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware! and see what that does for you.

The page will take you to the download page and from there, just select the red "Free" button.
    Movie Expert

Feb 3, 2015, 01:42 PM
    Sooo I ended up running my Norton Super Eraser feature (I think that was what it was called... ) and it detected something it labeled as 'bad' and removed it. It's been smooth sailing ever since. Thanks to you all for your input! (Oh - does the term "not sandboxed" mean anything to any of you? Once when I got the popup thing and it paused just long enough for me to read that in the upper left hand corner before it disappeared... )
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 3, 2015, 10:48 PM
    Glad it seems to be fixed.

As far as "not sandboxed"...HA! Good luck trying to figure that out...read this if you feel like being confused: Sandbox (software development) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The contactor on my carrier heat pump sometimes do not stay close it opens and closes [ 5 Answers ]

The contactor closes and opens very rapidly, sometimes it works fine, I replaced the contactor and the arking destroy the new one, what can cause that problem?

Garage door opener closes stops closes stops [ 1 Answers ]

I have a craftsman garage door opener, 1/2 hp motor, approx 10 years old. Door opens fine, closes about a third of the way, then must be prompted several times with remote or manual switch to get fully closed. Sensors have been cleaned, lights do not flash off an on... is this a solenoid or relay...

When my Liftmaster 1150LC garage door closes, it opens up again without prompting. [ 0 Answers ]

The garage door opener responds when prompted to close. However, after closing fulling, it immediately goes into the open cycle and goes back up. There are no physical obstructions in the track.

Ceiling painted then pop corned. How do I remove pop corn and paint? [ 2 Answers ]

Drywall ceiling was painted, then some time later it was pop corn textured. When removing the pop corn, the paint under the pop corn is hard to scrape off. When repainting over the old paint, the old paint peals back all over the place. What can I do to get the old paint off so I can mud some of...

DVD drawer opens and closes when computer is on [ 1 Answers ]

Installed a new internal HP DVD drive. When I turn on the computer, the DVD drawer continues to open and close. Very annoying. I have unplugged then reconnected the drive's connections as suggested by someone but this only helped a short time. Help?

View more questions Search