Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 28, 2015, 01:43 PM
    Obama gets slapped on 529 Accounts
    I was really surprised that last week Obama proposed gutting college savings 529 accounts, presumably because the majority of the benefits of tax-free growth go to the wealthy (since they are the ones who can afford to put money into these types of accounts, and have the most to save on taxes as they are in higher tax brackets). He presented this as a way to shift more tax burden to the wealthy. But by that same reasoning we should also abolish IRAs (especially Roths) and 401k plans, because those who make more money are better able to take full advantage of them. Think of the uproaor if he had proposd that! Anyways, thankfully the Dems in Congress pushed back, hard, and so now it's dropped after just one week. Clearly this was not well thought out.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2015, 10:16 AM
    I was really surprised that last week Obama proposed gutting college savings 529 accounts, presumably because the majority of the benefuts of tax-free growth go to the wealthy (since they are the ones who can afford to put money into these types of accounts, and have the most to save on taxes as they are in higher tax brackets).
    His 1st false assumption is that only the rich use these accounts. He of course is dead wrong. The "middle class " use them . The rich can fund college educations without this program.
    What you have to understand is that the emperor wants the people dependent on the benevolent government . That is why he would tax someone who tries to save on their own for college ;and turns around and proposes " free" college instead. The "free " part gets paid for by the elimination of the benefits received from the 529's .
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Jan 29, 2015, 10:34 AM
    If you have a dollar the "Bummer" always has you on his mind.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 29, 2015, 10:40 AM
    I would be happy with closing the 529 loophole of the 1%, for free two years of community college, but we can't even do that for bridges and roads.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 29, 2015, 10:46 AM
    Would you close it for the 50% as well?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2015, 10:58 AM
    and so now it's dropped after just one week.
    He got some opposition from both sides:
    Obama’s About-Face on 529 Plans Could Save the Middle Class a Bundle | The Fiscal Times
    dropped by the administration in the face of vehement opposition from Republicans and Democrats alike, as well as state treasurers, financial firms, educational institutions and families.
    Agreed that it wasn't well planned to have so much opposition.
    Expert

Jan 29, 2015, 10:59 AM
    Would you close it for the 50% as well?
    Naw just the top 1%. Seems congress could have agreed on a number between 0 and 100% anyway. Free two years of college and some roads and bridges. Naw, easier to be outraged and do NOTHING!
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2015, 11:03 AM
    at least stop using the misnomer "free " . Call it "subsidized " as someone actually has to pay for it .
    Expert

Jan 29, 2015, 11:12 AM
    I will when you stop referring to the FREE market, the greatest wealth extraction tool ever invented.
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2015, 11:26 AM
    Score one for Tal LOL!
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2015, 11:28 AM
    in your case the word free means : without cost or payment.

in my case the word free means :made, done, or given voluntarily
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2015, 11:47 AM
    None apply in the current implementation of "free market".
    Expert

Jan 29, 2015, 11:50 AM
    Yeah a GIFT to the rich from the sweat of the working poor. I ain't so sure about the voluntary, considering how stingy the trickle has been lately.
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2015, 11:51 AM
    The current implementation of the free market is not relevent since it is so regulated it can't possible be free.
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2015, 11:56 AM
    Yeah a GIFT to the rich from the sweat of the working poor. I ain't so sure about the voluntary, considering how stingy the trickle has been lately.
    It's buyers and sellers allowed to transact freely based on a mutual agreement on price without state intervention in the form of taxes, subsidies or regulation.
    Don't know where trickle applies . That Will Rogers phrase has something to do with tax policy ...not the free market.
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2015, 12:02 PM
    Yep, that's true, but to properly describe it you also have to pair that explanation with restricted economic mobility due to a healthy amount by the corporations that have too much control over the government and markets. And you will never get back to any semblance of a free market, that ship has sailed - you have no leverage whatsoever.
    Expert

Jan 29, 2015, 12:10 PM
    Guess you are stuck on that FREE market huh Tom? Guess a free bridge, or road, or education or REAL free stuff isn't in your vocabulary.
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2015, 12:32 PM
    tal no it isn't . Someone pays for the stuff you call free. Maybe the professors should work for "free " too ? Maybe the workers building those bridges and roads should work for "free" too ? Face it ,you mean " subsidized ". You think someone else should pay for the things you benefit from.
    Expert

Jan 29, 2015, 01:03 PM
    Oh I get it now, you mean voluntary slavery! Who gets to hold the whip? Geez Tom, if we all need bridges roads and an education who should pay for it? OOPS, I mean subsidize it.

Never mind, I see why there are no new road and bridges.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 29, 2015, 01:18 PM
    I'm still waiting for the second home mortgage interest deduction to go away.
    I mean, like, if you want to tax the wealthy and all....
    But almost everyone in federal politics has a second home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gift tax if you set up a 529 for yourself [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I would like to open an 529 account for myself . My question is that if I am the account owner as well as the beneficiary, does the gift tax rule apply in my case ? In other words, can I deposit a lump-sum of $80,000 when I open the 529 account without incurring any gift tax rule?...

Does a student file taxes for 529 withdrawl [ 3 Answers ]

If I withdraw money from my 529 college savings do I claim this on my taxes even though my parents claim me as a dependent? Also can I use my tuition payments as a write off?

Plan 529 for business school [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there: I am enrolled to start a part time MBA this fall in California. Since I will be a self-funded student, I would like advice on any tax breaks/credits I can get for my education. Furthermore, can someone let me know whether opening up a 529 plan would be beneficial (even though I'm...

Chapter 13, 401K and 529 plan [ 1 Answers ]

Currently filed a chapter 13 plan and I want to know if I'm able to contribute to my 401k or a 529 for my newborn. In addition, with horrible credit and a decent rate on my current mortgage can I do a refi?

View more questions Search