Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    personalcorr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2015, 09:14 PM
    Does crown lengthening on a back molar work ?
    My lower L. molar at the back (#7) was badly damaged, had root canal treatment and filling and was then fitted with a crown in 2009. In 2012 this crown started to come off very often. My dentist said that my molar (height above gum line) was very short. Each time this crown came off it was recemented, but the last time on 24/12/2014 it disappeared while I was eating (I must have swallowed it by mistake). There is no LL tooth #8, and LL tooth #6 has a crown and has had no problem. Now, I am not using this molar (#7), and am using the teeth on the right side (LR tooth #6 missing) for eating.

Does anyone have crown lengthening on a back molar ? How does it feel ? Does it feel loose ? Any problems ? Can the crown-lengthened back molar chew like a normal molar ? Are the exposed roots difficult to clean and cause problems ? Are adjacent teeth affected ?
    ryankoenig Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2015, 02:25 AM
    Hello Everyone,
    See, it depends on how molar teeth premature and also how long it will take, it depends on this too.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 10, 2015, 02:46 PM
    Crown lengthening is an often accomplished process under certain circumstances. No endodontist will leave exposed roots.

Other teeth are adjusted to compensate for the new crown. You are worrying unnecessarily. No problems ever reported as far as I know. Mine crowns are perfect and have been for a good number of years !
    personalcorr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2015, 03:33 AM
    Hi ryankoenig,

My lower L. molar at the back (#7) is only about 1 mm above gum line. I spoke with a periodontist about crown lengthening. He mentioned something about 5 mm. I don't know whether he meant removing 5 mm depth of bone or 5 mm depth of (bone + gum + other tissue). I'm worried about the consequences of removing bone/tissue, as my lower jaw beneath this tooth is only about 1 inch (25 mm) high.

Have you ever had crown lengthening surgery done on a back molar ? If yes, how much depth of bone and tissue were removed ? Any problems ? Can you describe your experience ?

Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Crown lengthening is an often accomplished process under certain circumstances. No endodontist will leave exposed roots.

Other teeth are adjusted to compensate for the new crown. You are worrying unnecessarily. No problems ever reported as far as I know. Mine crowns are perfect and have been for a good number of years !
    Hi tickle,

My lower L. molar at the back (#7) is only about 1 mm above gum line. I spoke with a periodontist about crown lengthening. He mentioned something about 5 mm. I don't know whether he meant removing 5 mm depth of bone or 5 mm depth of (bone + gum + other tissue). I'm worried about the consequences of removing bone/tissue, as my lower jaw beneath this tooth is only about 1 inch (25 mm) high.

Have you ever had crown lengthening surgery done on a back molar ? If yes, how much depth of bone and tissue were removed ? Any problems ? Can you describe your experience ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Crown lengthening, build-up, and temporary crown on the same day ? [ 0 Answers ]

My tooth nr. 28 had a root canal treatment 1 week ago by an endodontist. Yesterday, my general dentist performed a crown lengthening and placed the build-up and temporary crown on it. All in one session. In 2 weeks, he wants to place the permanent crown on it. Has this been done correctly ? There...

Crown lengthening procedure vs post & core *last molar, right side* [ 3 Answers ]

So not sure where to start. Dentist did an RC. Ground away my tooth (molar). Tells me I need a crown lengthening procedure. I looked into it and saw that most times this is not a necessary procedure. I had a post & core done on a front/top tooth which broke up to the gumline after the first crown...

I got a root canal and needed crown lengthening but got billed for a crown? [ 10 Answers ]

I went to a new dentist for a horrible tooth ache. They took a full set of X-rays which is fine but I just needed them to look at the one tooth ASAP. I was told I needed a root canal, crown lengthening, and porcelien crown. I could not afford everything at once so I did the root canal the next day...

Crown Lengthening [ 2 Answers ]

I'm under a new dental plan that does not cover crown lengthening. I've had a couple of crowns replaced and a couple of new ones by a new dentist under the new plan. For each I was charged a $750 fee for "Crown lengthening". I'd never heard of it before and I'm not sure I got a good explanation...

Crown lengthening [ 4 Answers ]

How much does crown lengthening cost and does the procedure hurt?

View more questions Search