Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MilitaryMan19D30 Posts: 29, Reputation: 5

Apr 9, 2007, 12:45 PM
    Interested in Views on the Current Iraq Situation
    Place to vent your opinions about the current Iraq War.
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Apr 9, 2007, 01:28 PM
    Well when we went into Iraq I was totally against it, And I am still totally against the fact that we did.
    That being said after we went to war I agreed with Powell -- we broke it ,we must fix it.
    That was then though this is now
    Due to mismanagement by the current administration my gut says its past fixing.
    We are breeding the next 2 generations of terrorist as I type.
    And while we are pulling peters In Iraq Afghanistan is falling back into chaos
    Just imagine if we had taken the billions [whats the current cost now?] we have wasted and spent it uplifting people instead of killing people?

Apr 10, 2007, 06:09 AM
    U.S. National Debt Clock Check out the current US dept... that is were it really hurts. I'm a red blooded hard charging American Soldier who's also a realist and a Democrat. How much is enough before we pull the plug?
    cchotiner333 Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Apr 19, 2007, 02:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryMan19D30
    Place to vent your opinions about the current Iraq War.
    I think that starting that war was a foolish idea but we cannot abandon the war now. We have to finish what we started and show the world that we can learn from our mistakes. The world looks to see what we do at times, to decide what they will do and pulling out before the mission is complete would be a serious mistake. I'm nobody, but that's just how I feel.
    al-mukhleseen Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Apr 19, 2007, 02:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cchotiner333
    before the mission is complete
    Would you please explain what "the mission" is?

Apr 19, 2007, 03:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by al-mukhleseen
    Would you please explain what "the mission" is?
    Lol that's a good question -- its changed so many times -- I think its just to avoid looking like fools now [too late georgie] -- Savage
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2007, 06:08 AM
    This war is a mistake of monumental proportions, and an unmitigated disaster. It is diametrically opposed to the highest and best ideals of this nation and the civilized world. The damage it has done and continues to do will take many generations to even begin to repair. Whether the US military leaves sooner or later, the spasm of violence that has been unleashed will run its course, like a fire that burns until its fuel is all consumed.

This war happened because our leaders and too many of our citizens learned the wrong lesson from the 9/11 attacks. They wanted revenge. They decided that we must become like our enemies in order to defeat them. And the rest, as they say, is history.

Apr 19, 2007, 06:26 AM
    How is that even revenge when we kicked the hell out of Afghanistan because of the Saudis? Oil is a powerful asset, we don't rush to liberate people that won't benefit us. Nobody really cares about the guerillas in Africa because diamonds are nice but oil is power.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2007, 06:41 AM
    I don't know about anyone else, but I am real tired of our troops getting seriously injured or killed over in Iraq.

Getting real tired of our troops having to explain why they reacted in a certain way when they were under attack and are being tried as criminals. Disgusting!

I want our troops home. Now. As well as troops from around the world who are our friends.

I don't give a horses tail about any other darn issue but getting our military out of that madness.

God bless our military and THANK YOU for the sacrifices you and your families make. We here at home are proud of you!

geraldo2 Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Apr 25, 2007, 06:27 PM
    I think it was the right decision for bush to send troops to iraq. Saddam was a dictator, you don't know what it means to be ruled by one. Anyway, the troops escalated the death rate and therefore it's america's responsibility to finish it. By the way, new oil reserves were discovered and if the U.S. pulls out, Iran and other countries will take over. Then you'll wish you supported Bush.

Apr 25, 2007, 06:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldo2
    i think it was the right decision for bush to send troops to iraq. saddam was a dictator, you don't know what it means to be ruled by one. anyway, the troops escalated the death rate and therefore it's america's responsibility to finish it. by the way, new oil reserves were discovered and if the U.S. pulls out, Iran and other countries will take over. then you'll wish you supported Bush.
    He was one of many dictators -- hell the one in Pakistan is " our ally " Are we now the worlds police? If Iraq had no oil bush would have cared less if saddam had killed 1/2 the population.

We went to war out of greed and our fellow Americans are dying to line the wealthy pigs pockets with more blood money.

How much have you heard bush and company say about the genocide in Africa? Dang little, NO OIL. -- Savage
    Auttajasi Posts: 107, Reputation: 27

Apr 30, 2007, 08:46 AM
    This is a heated topic for most people. Since I spent 8 years in the US Marines Infantry, and one tour in Iraq, I have very strong opinions about this.
    Politically, I think it has been suicide for Bush. Poor guy. I do believe that he means well. We should have done more to keep our allies' support.
    Morally, I have to believe that, given how fortunate we are as a country, we should jump at opportunities to help others who are not capable of helping themselves. With the man or woman standing on the corner of a U.S. street with the cardboard sign, most pass them up but some give a little. Given how fortunate I feel I am, I try to give a little change. I don't care what they use the money for. This is a reoccurring problem. We seem to be heading in the direction of individuality and a lack of compassion.
    In Iraq, you can't argue that these people weren't oppressed under the regime of Saddam. I personally saw mass gravesites, I saw underground torture chambers that were used as recently as 2 weeks before we entered Iraq in 2003. I have to believe that, as a nation, we can't just sit back and watch thousands be born into this type of situation without trying to do something. Thousands were killed in Somalia before we went in to do something. There's no oil or any significant resource there (that I know or heard of), but we still went in and tried to do the right thing.
    It pains me to hear on the news every day that more people have died in Iraq. I truly feel for the families. I know what it is like to lose a friend in Iraq. It sucks.
    All this being said, I have to believe that we are doing the right thing. It is never easy. It took our country years and years to gain our freedom, and over 200 years later, we are still killing people in monumental proportions.
    Regardless of whether you believe that we should have gone in, we can't leave. It would be like giving candy to a screaming kid in the grocery store. It reinforces bad behavior, and nothing good can come from it.
    I would love to hear from anyone willing to carry on a civilized internet conversation about this (I.e an uncivilized conversation would be: "I hate Bush! He is an Idiot! Pull the military out NOW regardless of the consequences!)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2007, 08:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldo2
    saddam was a dictator, you don't know what it means to be ruled by one.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2007, 09:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Auttajasi
    This is a heated topic for most people. Since I spent 8 years in the US Marines Infantry, and one tour in Iraq, I have very strong opinions about this.
    Politically, I think it has been suicide for Bush. Poor guy. I do believe that he means well. We should have done more to keep our allies' support.
    Morally, I have to believe that, given how fortunate we are as a country, we should jump at opportunities to help others who are not capable of helping themselves. With the man or woman standing on the corner of a U.S. street with the cardboard sign, most pass them up but some give a little. Given how fortunate I feel I am, I try to give a little change. I don't care what they use the money for. This is a reoccurring problem. We seem to be heading in the direction of individuality and a lack of compassion.
    In Iraq, you can't argue that these people weren't oppressed under the regime of Saddam. I personally saw mass gravesites, I saw underground torture chambers that were used as recently as 2 weeks before we entered Iraq in 2003. I have to believe that, as a nation, we can't just sit back and watch thousands be born into this type of situation without trying to do something. Thousands were killed in Somalia before we went in to do something. There's no oil or any significant resource there (that I know or heard of), but we still went in and tried to do the right thing.
    It pains me to hear on the news every day that more people have died in Iraq. I truly feel for the families. I know what it is like to lose a friend in Iraq. It sucks.
    All this being said, I have to believe that we are doing the right thing. It is never easy. It took our country years and years to gain our freedom, and over 200 years later, we are still killing people in monumental proportions.
    Regardless of whether or not you believe that we should have gone in, we can't leave. It would be like giving candy to a screaming kid in the grocery store. It reinforces bad behavior, and nothing good can come from it.
    I would love to hear from anyone willing to carry on a civilized internet conversation about this (I.e an uncivilized conversation would be: "I hate Bush! He is an Idiot! Pull the military out NOW regardless of the consequences!)

Thank you - for your service and dedication to our Country. So very proud of you and you should be proud of what you have contributed as well.

Bless you and your family for the sacrifices. We do appreciate it!

Hearts and prayers are always with our troops and the troops from all across the world, who truly are our friends.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Apr 30, 2007, 12:03 PM
    Whether you agree with the decision to go into Iraq or not, it is irrelevant, because we are there. From early on, people like John McCain said we don't have enough troops to do the job right. His opinion seems correct, in hindsight. The time for a massive infux of new troops has passed, because Congress, and the American people would not approve it. So we are left with something akin to a turd sandwich; no matter how you bite into it, it won't be pleasant. I believe that Joe Biden has the most reasonable solution. Allow a partition into three separate regions; one for the Kurds, one for the Sunnis, and one for the Shiites. These three states would be in a loose confederation, that would share oil revenues, and the common defense of the whole. Check out the article: Joe Biden Has One Thing Right.
    Hirsh: Joe Biden is Dead Right on Iraq - Newsweek Michael Hirsh - MSNBC.com
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

May 3, 2007, 02:38 PM
    First - after a number of UN violations, known mass exterminations, the use of chemical weapons on his own countrymen, i.e. the Kurds, and failed diplomatic efforts prior to the war, I think the US is justified for being there.

Second - OIL - the world depends on it. We need a stable / reasonable source. Our economy depends on it not only for gas and energy but for plastics and pharmaceuticals.
    Unless we are willing to pay much more [ and I would not hazard a guess at how mucj more ] for gas and other commodities that depend on oil, ensuring a stable supply is a realistic objective. Note that the US has not anexed Iraqui oil fields for our own personal supply and profit or to help fund the military effort. I personally would.
    This is why we are not in Darfur or Somalia or Rwanda in the 90s - certainly a moral reason but no national interest. We have more at stake going to Iraq than we did in the former Yugoslavia/ Kosovo.

Third - The US has stood by on terrorist attacks prior to 9/11, the first world trade bombing, Lebanon, USS Cole, the African embassys. These terrorist hate us and will kill us whether we are in Iraq, the only difference is now they know we will fight back and take pro-active measures.

Fourth - there is no easy, politically correct solution to ending this. Certainly 'benchmarks' , partitioning and other possible solutions should be considered.
    What does it say about us as a nation when things get tough politicians start bailing out and wanting to quit? What about to those who have given life and limb? Is this all for nothing?

Fifth - I work at a VAMC - Regardless of the politics, we need to support out military. In this selfish world, they go out and serve and do a the job defending us and our freedoms.
    Thank you all.
    gazelleintense Posts: 175, Reputation: 13

May 3, 2007, 06:34 PM
    I was all for getting saddam out... just not sure taking the country over was wise. I'm torn on that part of it.

Here is something we seemed to have forgot... the US didn't start this war... war was waged on us...

Anyone recall 9.11.2001?? 3,000 innocent Americans murdered?
    robertsqueen Posts: 376, Reputation: 43

May 3, 2007, 07:11 PM
    I want our troops home. A couple months ago I lost a dear childhood friend to the war. He died saving other soldiers. Although I am grateful for everything that the soldiers have done for us... and I am grateful that they risk their lives everyday... the troops need to come home. They have family and loved ones that need them. I think that starting the war in the first place was stupid. I understand that we had to show the people that killed our Americans in 9/11... but now all we are doing is hurting ourself. I am sorry if this offends anyone... I am just really hurt over Chris's death. He was only 22, and have not lived out his life... you know?
    al-mukhleseen Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

May 4, 2007, 07:23 AM
    We find it amazing as to how the amerikkkans try to justify their invasion of a sovereign state. That saddam was a dictator is no trade secret. Who? We beg, who? Put him such a position of power? Why, the amerikkkans off-course! Just take a peek at post #13 by Needkarma.

it is a sad fact that most amerikkans are unaware of issues beyond their borders, print media, TV and hollywood. Amerikkka is not the bastion of "domocracy and human rights" in the world, that is a blatant lie! Amerikkka is after its own interest and would use "any means necessary" as one of your own enlightened martyrs, Al Malik al-Shabbaz (Malcolm X) proclaimed. Amerikkka is a racist police and military state, you need to acknowledge that. Calll a spade a spade and don't hide behind rhetorics.

where was amerikkka when we here in south africa suffered under the hands of the brutal "white" regime who instituted the draconian "apartheid system which dehumanised people of colour? where were the amerikkkans when when christians serbians were massacaring muslim bosnians? whre is amerikkka when zionism is busy perpetrating genocide against the palestinian people and subjecting them to untold stomach churning atrocities?

the global gripe is not against the amerikkan people as a whole, but against its foreign policy, which is dictated by the zionists and neo-cons in amerikkka. the amerikkkan people need to wake up to the reality that global opinion is changing regarding them. People are no longer fooled by your "western movies" which portrayed the "white cowboy" as the victim, the sympathiser and the hero, and the poor native american, whose land was stolen, as a barbaric, ignorant backward imbecile who needed the "white settler" for his survival. and dont forget the millions of africans who were enslaved and brought to the shores of the "new" amerikkka in leg chains, hungry, thirsty and on the brink of death, and the millions more who died enroute.

so forget your movie world and postulating and return to the real world. The only solution to the iraqi crisis is to leave! And leave now! And leave iraq to its own people. There is no civil strife in iraq, never was. People co-existed in harmony and inter marrying, what right and mandate has amerikkka got to divide its people into different sections as suggested in some posts, this is the same old colonial tactic of divide and rule that was perpetrated in all colonised lands. In conclusion we cite a part of a freedom song which was a motivating factor in our struggle and fight for freedom here in south africa:
    "White man dont sleep long and dont sleep to deep
    your life and position how long can you keep
    for i've heard a rumour that running around
    that the black man's demanding his own piece of ground
    that the black man's demanding his own piece of ground!"
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2007, 09:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gazelleintense
    I was all for getting saddam out... just not sure taking the country over was wise. I'm torn on that part of it.

here is something we seemed to have forgot... the US didn't start this war... war was waged on us...

anyone recall 9.11.2001??? 3,000 innocent Americans murdered?
    What in the hell are you talking about? You have swallowed the neocons' propaganda about a link between Saddam's regime and Al-Queda. It is simply not true, and never was. I know D!ck Cheney is still going around saying it, but he's a delusional fool and a pathological liar.

No, I regret to say that the US most certainly did start this (Iraq) war, deliberately and with forethought. It is a mistake of monumental proportions, but it was not an accident or a miscalculation, it was an intentional act. Those responsible for perpetrating it should be held accountable before the world. The whole doctrine of preemptive war is an abomination. If anybody who feels threatened, is justified in attacking the source of the perceived threat, we are in for a lot of war.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My current situation [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently 21 and have a 6 month old son with my fiancée, we live together in a family life. I was wondering if this will work out for me, we have had some troubles with his mother, with her invasions into our relationship. I do question my fiancée faithfullness and love for me, because I have...

Processing speed advantage by views [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Is there any advantage in processing speed of instructions by using views wrt tables??

Firearms: Views, Truths and Taboos [ 35 Answers ]

What is your view on owning a type of weapon, used solely for the purpose of defending your property, home, collecting, etc *Keep in mind that I emphasize safety first, meaning that proper handling, knowledge, safety, stowing and security of said weapon is an primary MUST.* Personally, yes. I...

Viewing spreadsheets in different views [ 7 Answers ]

I am an intermediate level MS Excel user. I often use my spreadsheet and would like to see different views at the click of a button. By this, lets say I have columns A through Z. I know I can manually MOVE, say columns C, G, L, and P to be the first 4 columns, into position A,B,C,D. And I can...

View more questions Search