Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laynuh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2015, 03:26 PM
    Two female rats and one neutered male rat - can they live together peacefully?
    I have two female rats, one is about two and half months old and the other is probably two months old. Will it be okay, and will they be fine, living with a NEUTERED male rat. I have no intentions of breeding them what-so-ever. I just would like a male as well. I've read that it would be perfectly fine and that they would do okay and that one male would be better since they can get dominate over females. My females are not spayed either. Thank you!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 22, 2015, 06:22 PM
    Nope won't work. Females will destroy him. They will still know he is male from his urine, and assume he can breed. Where did u read that, on the Internet?

you have to respect rat culture. They are the same as any other pet.
    laynuh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2015, 06:56 PM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMFTC5_fTGE actually this was helpful enough. :)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 22, 2015, 07:35 PM
    I would introduce them slowly. Keep him separate for a while, let them play daily with supervision, and then try putting them in the same cage. If there's any fighting you separate them and then start from the beginning, separate cage, daily play with supervision.

When you do put them in the same cage you may want to get a new cage altogether. Rats are a lot like rabbits, when in a cage they mark that as their territory, and any intruder is not welcome. A new cage would make it mutual territory, so no fighting over whose cage it is.

Didn't watch the video you posted, but hope that my advice helps. I've never owned rats, they're illegal where I live, but rodents are rodents, and I've had many. I also have rabbits, which aren't rodents but have similar traits to rats.

Good luck. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can two female rats live with one male? [ 9 Answers ]

I have two adult female rats that live together, can I put a male in to mate with them or would I have to take one female out 1st? Also if one gets pregnant do I have to take the female that's not pregnant out. I no I have to remove the male.

Can I breed my pet female rat with a stranger male? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a female rat and 3 other males, one still being a baby. The baby is definitely not interested in my female that way, but the other males are always shoving their faces into her vagina. She doesn't seem to like the attention, but I would like to know if they would mate with her whether she...

Why do my male rats keep peeing on me? [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 male rats chocco and chip they are very loving towards me and all ways want cuddles and there not afraid to come see me but every time there snuggling into my neck they pee is there something I can do to potty train them?? (I`v had them nearly 2 months) Jelly Bean x xx

Neutered Male. [ 2 Answers ]

I got my male dog neutered yesterday, and he still has not gone to the bathroom! He wasn't allowed food/water after midnight the night before but I fed him when he got home which was 24 hours ago! Is this okay?

Neutered male stuck to female [ 2 Answers ]

My father's rottweiller (neutered) is stuck to a female in heat. This happened late last night and I just found out they are still stuck together today! What should I do? Is there reason for me to panic or should I let them be? It is Saturday, 8 PM - all the vets are closed! PLEASE...

View more questions Search