Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wyoung Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2015, 10:40 AM
    Am I a vet and entitled to VA benefits?
    I joined in 1996. Basic was a breeze. Half way through AIT, They discharged me. EPTS, medical/Honorable. I have never called myself a veteran. Recently, I was looking at buying a house and they asked if I was a veteran. I have no clue. MY DD214 states medical honorable. I never considered myself a vet, but legally, I am unsure.

If anyone can help me with this, that would be great because resources online really give no clear definition.

Thanks.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 21, 2015, 01:34 PM
    You never saw active duty, so you are not a veteran.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 21, 2015, 02:12 PM
    In the US your veteran status for benefits starts with your discharge papers from what I have surmised so the best course of action is to get your lost papers replaced and status verified by the VA.

Military Forms | Military.com

Getting a Replacement DD-214 or Military Service Records
    Loss of this all-important form is not the end of the world. Most veterans and their next-of-kin can get free copies of their DD Form 214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty - through theeVetRecs website or by mailing or faxing a completed Standard Form SF-180 to the National Archives.
    http://www.military.com/

Then you can determine your status and benefits you are entitled too.

Jan 21, 2015, 02:51 PM
    I have my DD214. It will state on it? I just was questioned by it from a realtor, to see if a VA loan was a viable option. I have never claimed to be a veteran, even in my career. Just curious really.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 21, 2015, 02:59 PM
    You won't know until you check it out for yourself so call the VA. What could be easier than a phone call?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 21, 2015, 03:17 PM
    If your area has a VA clinic or office, the front desk clerk should be able to give you a definitive answer just by looking at the DD-214.

Jan 21, 2015, 05:05 PM
    Thanks you all. I appreciate your time and effort. I will make the phone call tomorrow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Friends with benefits.. just benefits [ 7 Answers ]

So I've been hooking up with this guy for almost 2 years on and off.. I want more than just sex from him but I know that's all he wants from me and apart if me is okay with that but at the same time I'm not.. we hook up at least twice a week and I love it!. but I don't like that I wake up and he's...

Is an estranged active military wife entitled to retirement benefits? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been dating a military man for over a year and we WERE engaged to be married. I found out a day ago that he is still legally married to his wife of 14 years. He tells me that he and his wife are estranged and he has no idea where she is. He further tells me that they never lived together and...

How long am I entitled to my husband's health benefits? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I have been living apart for a year.he is going to we the people for divorce papers.am I still entitled to health benefits?also,am I entitled to his 401k?we do not have attorneys at this time.

Vet doctor vs. Vet [ 2 Answers ]

What should I choose between a vet doctor (that could come to my place at any time) or a vet clinic?

View more questions Search