Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CDHERNANDEZ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2015, 10:15 AM
    Child custody
    My husbands kids want to come live with us but he is a registered sex offender. The charge has nothing to do with children and he's wondering if there is any hope he will get custody
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 21, 2015, 11:45 AM
    Normally, depending on their ages, and also on which state you are in, the children's' preferences might be considered but are not dispositive. In most places, assuming the custodial parent fights it, you husband would have to prove a material change in circumstances since the time of the original custody decision. And obviously, if the mother does fight this, she will probably try to use his prior conviction (for whatever it is for which he is a registered sex offender) against him. Whether the judge finds that to be relevant is up to the court.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 21, 2015, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CDHERNANDEZ View Post
    he's wondering if there is any hope he will get custody
    There is always hope, but no one can predict what a court will do, especially with so little info. As noted, there are lots of factors that would be involved in a judge deciding to modify the original custody order. If you want to give us more background we may be able to advise better on the chances.

In the meantime, if you want to pursue this hire a very good Family Law attorney in your area.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2015, 04:46 PM
    Have you and your husband talked to any attorneys in the area? That would be a good place to start. I'm not going to ask what his conviction was for but there is a very good chance it will come up in court. Are you asking if there is hope because he doesn't want to try it if there isn't a great deal of possibility that he can gain custody? Basically I ask that because we can not predict what the judge will decide there are lots of factors that go into making that decision. Some of them have already been addressed above. So unless you want to give more details on here my best advice right now is to start looking at attorneys.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can the father of my unborn child get 50% custody if I want primary custody? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 4 months pregnant and the father of the child and I are no longer together. For personal reasons I want to give the child my last name, not his. He says he can CHANGE the baby's last name once a paternity test is done. Is that correct? Also, I want primary custody and would agree to give him...

If I have custody of 1 child and my wife has custody of 1 child is money involved? [ 1 Answers ]

If I have custody of 1 child and my wife has custody of 1 child is money involved?

Divorced, father has custody of child and mother found she has to pay child support [ 3 Answers ]

I just received my divorce papers and my ex wife found out she has to pay child support and now she wants custody. We signed a non contest divorce where we both agreed, she has been distant from my daughter for sometime, she has only seen our daughter 12 times n almost 2 years.

Regaining physical custody of child I already have custody of [ 16 Answers ]

A complecated case need help to get my grand daughter back from someone who does not have custody,for 8 years my grand daughter has lived with great aunt and found out today she has never had custody

Can father of my unborn child receive custody or visitation rights after child is bor [ 5 Answers ]

I am pregnant and the babies father is going after custody or visitation when the child is born. He is very abusive and does have a violent record from the past. He is been making many threats towards me and my unborn child. He has even stated that once he has the child in his hands he stated that...

View more questions Search