Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2015, 03:16 PM
    The difference choose your favourite
    Aussies: Believe you should look out for your mates.
    Brits: Believe that you should look out for those people who belong to your club.
    Americans: Believe that people should look out for and take care of themselves.
    Canadians: Believe that that is the government's job.

Aussies: Dislike being mistaken for Pommies (Brits) when abroad.
    Canadians: Are rather indignant about being mistaken for Americans when abroad.
    Americans: Encourage being mistaken for Canadians when abroad.
    Brits: Can't possibly be mistaken for anyone else when abroad.

Canadians: Endure bitterly cold winters and are proud of it.
    Brits: Endure oppressively wet and dreary winters and are proud of it.
    Americans: Don't have to do either, and couldn't care less.
    Aussies: Don't understand what inclement weather means.[

Americans: Drink weak, pissy-tasting beer.
    Canadians: Drink strong, pissy-tasting beer.
    Brits: Drink warm, beery-tasting piss.
    Aussies: Drink anything with alcohol in it

Americans: Seem to think that poverty and failure are morally suspect.
    Canadians: Seem to believe that wealth and success are morally suspect.
    Brits: Seem to believe that wealth, poverty, success, and failure are inherited.
    Aussies: Seem to think that none of this matters after several beers

Brits: Have produced many great comedians, celebrated by Canadians, ignored by Americans, and therefore not rich.
    Aussies: Have produced comedians like Paul Hogan and Yahoo Serious.
    Canadians: Have produced many great comedians such as John Candy, Martin Short, Jim Carrey, Dan Akroyd, and all the rest at SCTV.
    Americans: Think that these people are American![

Americans: Spend most of their lives glued to the idiot box.
    Canadians: Don't, but only because they can't get more American channels.
    Brits: Pay a tax just so they can watch 4 channels.
    Aussies: Export all their crappy programs, which no one there watches, to Britain, where everybody loves them]

Americans: Will jabber on incessantly about football, baseball and basketball.
    Brits: Will jabber on incessantly about cricket, soccer and rugby.
    Canadians: Will jabber on incessantly about hockey, hockey, hockey, and how they beat the Americans twice, playing baseball.
    Aussies: Will jabber on incessantly about how they beat the Poms in every sport they played them in.

Aussies: Are extremely patriotic about their beer.
    Americans: Are flag-waving, anthem-singing, and obsessively patriotic to the point of blindness.
    Canadians: Can't agree on the words to their anthem, in either language, when they can be bothered to sing them.
    Brits: Do not sing at all but prefer a large brass band to perform the anthem.

Brits: Are justifiably proud of the accomplishments of their past citizens.
    Americans: Are justifiably proud of the accomplishments of their present citizens.
    Canadians: Prattle on about how some of those great Americans were once Canadian.
    Aussies: Waffle on about how some of their past citizens were once Outlaw Pommies, but none of that matters after several beers.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 22, 2015, 08:30 PM
    Funny. Not at all accurate, but funny nonetheless.
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2015, 10:37 PM
    Aussies: Seem to think that none of this matters after several beers. Personally I agree, the sun is over the yardarm
    Pets Expert

Jan 23, 2015, 04:18 PM
    I do agree that Canadians are proud that they live in a land of ice during the winter, and they survive! We boast about it all the time. I've been known (even though I'm not actually Canadian, only live in Canada), to tell people that they can visit, but wait for summer because they wouldn't survive our winter.

Little secret, we do have bad days in winter, but it's really not nearly as bad as we tell you all it is. Tell anyone I said that and I'll deny it, even though it's in writing. :)
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 23, 2015, 04:25 PM
    Got the beer spot on!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 23, 2015, 05:11 PM
    I think it's hilarious. Might have to change American beer though, with all the craft breweries now.

Just from personal experiences as an American:
    I drove cross country once with an Aussie kid. In the middle of the night, while I crawled in the back seat to sleep, he saw a sign that said Bonneville Flats, careened off the highway, and sank the car up to the hubcaps. His aim in life was to build a hot dog stand on top of the Rock of Gibralter.
    Canadian relatives: I never realized that they are proud of cold winters. I thought they were just willing to put up with anything for hockey.
    They talk just like Americans except for eh and out. They can drop the eh if they get jobs in the US and want to sound American (like Peter Jennings), but they can't change how they say out.
    I brought a big hanging plant one Christmas (to a town near Quebec), and it was warm in the car, but during the 4 seconds from car to front door, it completely froze and all of it fell off.
    The entire Canadian populace seems nicer than anyone anywhere. Even when mouthing off, they just seem mild somehow.

My fellow Americans strike me as knowing nothing about history or government.
    But it's hard to generalize, with 320 million people. Otherwise I'd go on and on.
    Pets Expert

Jan 23, 2015, 05:46 PM
    I never say "eh", then again I'm not a Canadian citizen, I've only lived in Canada as an immigrant since I was less than 4 years old. OMG, I've been here 40 plus years and I'm still not a citizen! Geesh!

I say out like this: Ow t. Best way I can describe it. :) Is that wrong?
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Jan 26, 2015, 12:17 PM
    To me the way Canadians say 'out' sounds like it would rhyme with boot (kinda... )
    Pets Expert

Jan 26, 2015, 04:03 PM
    Ahhh, you're thinking about Newfoundlanders aliseaodo. That's where much of the misconceptions about how Canadians speak, comes from.

Little secret, even we Canadians can't understand Newfie's. They have a language all their own.

I do have to say that the way Americans say roof has always baffled me. I say it "r ew f", Americans say it like "ruff". Never did understand that. And it's "youths", not "yutes". :)
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 26, 2015, 04:46 PM
    youths", not "yutes
    Been watching My Cousin Vinnie again, Alty? Marisa Tomei's best work IMO.
    Pets Expert

Jan 26, 2015, 04:49 PM
    Love that movie.

But no, I just wanted to show that you shouldn't judge all Canadians based on the few you've seen on TV, especially if you watched Fargo. Just like we shouldn't judge all Americans on movies like My Cousin Vinnie. :)
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 26, 2015, 06:49 PM
    I prefer Bob and Doug McKensie, eh?
    Movie Expert

Jan 26, 2015, 11:05 PM
    Two of the radio stations I listen to are Canadian (I'm across the water from Victoria). It still makes me say 'what the... ' when they say zed instead of z-ee. One morning show episode was talking about crazy food kids ate back in the day, and Cheez Whiz was brought up - the DJ said something like, 'Yeah! This cheese spread has a 'zed' in it!' It took me a minute to realize that 'zed' was a letter, not a mysterious ingredient...
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 27, 2015, 08:40 AM
    All you folks talk funny over thar.
    Pets Expert

Jan 27, 2015, 03:59 PM
    LMAO! J has spoken to me on the phone, not sure if she thinks I sound funny. I know she thinks I have an accent, just as I think she does. But we have no problem understanding each other, and I know for a fact that she would tell you that I've never ever uttered the "word" "eh". :)

I also say zee, not zed. Canada actually changed it to zed a while back, don't know why. My kids say zee as well, because otherwise the "now I know my ABC's next time won't you sing with me" part at the end, doesn't rhyme.
    Movie Expert

Jan 28, 2015, 10:40 AM
    True! You would have to sing '... next time won't you sing with Ed"...
    Pets Expert

Jan 28, 2015, 04:02 PM
    Exactly, and that would bother the heck out of me. It was meant to rhyme, so in my house it will always be zee, not zed. :)
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2015, 05:12 PM
    Spaekin off talkin funnie Tal how are youall t'day
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 6, 2015, 05:31 PM
    Bloody well I must say! :D
    Pets Expert

Feb 6, 2015, 06:27 PM
    You all make me talk funny. I think I throw about 20 different accents into my writing because of talking to all of you for 8 years! :)

It's all AMHD's members fault! I used to be normal until I met all of you! Now I'm totally messed up! ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In love with two man - don't know what to do, who to choose and how to choose? [ 5 Answers ]

I am a 30 year old woman and I think that I love two men at the same time and I don't know what to do. About 7 years ago I met man no.1, we had a more or less happy relationship although I have to say that every now and then I had doubts that he is the one I want to spend my life with, and the one...

So where's your favourite? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi guys, So where's your favourite place to hang out on this humongous forum? :D (yes Alty I have only just discovered the lounge area! LOL and have posted in here before without realising I had :rolleyes: So where do most of your guys go on here then, is it the lounge, answering and asking...

What's your favourite font? [ 8 Answers ]

I like Calibri. Although it is one of the few endering features of the new office package, I can't help but feel my essays look a tad more professional in it. Perhaps I'm just becoming delusional in my old age. Who can say? This font is hard to read on screen, but apparently easier to read...

Favourite & least favourite word [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, It was difficult finding a slot to post this question. I hope this thread is OK. We all have a favourite word and least favourite word and I was wondering which are yours. My favourite word is: 'Serendipity'

Old Favourite [ 3 Answers ]

Recipe for an old favourite - Cocnut haystacks. Can anyone help with this recipe

View more questions Search