Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dlj1989 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2015, 10:55 AM
    Inexpensive Roof for Odd Project
    Hello there! I have an odd question for you. My partners and I will be digging (if all goes well) a large 55 acre pit that we want to use for storing barrels of oil in for a couple years before reselling them. I've done well trying to keep costs low but there's one part that I'm stumped on. Basically, we need some sort of roof on the facility but one that size can be very expensive. One thought I had is, instead of digging the hole and building a roof, we can dig it deeper as though it's a cave and use the dirt above us as the roof. However, I don't know how safe that is for such a large area. Is this safe or should we keep it an open pit that we then place a roof over? If the latter is the case, what kind of roof would be secure, waterproof, and cheap and how cheap, exactly, would it be?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 20, 2015, 02:17 PM
    Getting ready for the zombie apocalypse, eh? You're right - it's an odd project.

First, why not save a bunch of money and simply store the barrels above ground in an inexpensive warehouse?

As for a roof for your pit - you don't want one large, 55 acre roof. What you do instead is build supporting columns every 20 feet or so and use standard roof trusses between them. Rough guess is the roof would cost around $10/sq ft, or about $20 million or so to cover 55 acres. And no - your cavern idea is a non-starter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

50% damage to your roof > Is insurance required to pay for a roof? [ 2 Answers ]

The insurance company told me I have 50% damage. I have heard 50% damage = a new roof

My roof has a layer of ice building on the inside of the roof,I'm wondering why? [ 3 Answers ]

Weeks.would love to here if this has happin to anyone.. I am new to this fourm...

Roof truss project questions [ 4 Answers ]

I built my own rafters and roofing system for our 12x31 guest house. Now we have a 2264 sf slab that will soon have ICF walls in early/mid-september. The house has 3 basic areas and will have 3 gabled roof sections of 6/12 pitch. 2 of the 3 have a 20' span and the top plate height is 10'. 1...

I am building a truss roof over a flat roof.the size is 9'wx9'd.where do I begin this [ 2 Answers ]

I am building a gable roof over a flat roof at our church.It is 9'wx9'l.How do I determine the height of the center rafter?

Small roof to protect heat pump from snow off metal roof [ 5 Answers ]

We are getting a metal roof put on our old house. This means that the snow will slide off and land onto our air source heat pump. We need to construct a small roof to protect it. We were thinking of extending the 2 x 6 roof rafters another 4 feet and then having 2 x6 or 4 x 4's going back to the...

View more questions Search