Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidadrian140 Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

Jan 19, 2015, 05:56 PM
    Leak in roof
    Hello everyone. I have a leak in my ceiling. I live on the 2nd floor apartment which has a flat roof. It just started a week ago. I was told that a temporary patch would not work. I would need to replace the whole roof. Can I use a temporary patch until April or May? Or do I have to replace the whole roof?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 20, 2015, 07:47 AM
    Certainly a flat roof can be patched. Weather that patch will be temporary or permanent depends on a lot of things. You replace a roof when patching becomes to frequent and costly.

Don't understand you post. You say you live in a 2nd story or upper apartment and are asking about doing roof repairs. That implies that you own the apartment. That also implies that someone else owns the apartment below. Where are you located? Generally this would be called a condiminium where the structal elements are owned in common by more than one owner.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 20, 2015, 07:55 AM
    That's my question also, who is responsible for the roof maintenance? Who told you a patch wouldn't work? If I were responsible, a second or third opinion would be needed, as well as estimates for patching, and a full repair.

The issue of patch, or repair, generally rests with the costs of both. Gather facts is the best way to make a good decision.
    davidadrian140 Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

Apr 22, 2015, 05:15 PM
    Here in Chicago it's called a two unit apartment building. 1st floor and 2nd floor. Condominiums are similar. I own the building now and had a roofer tell me that I would need a whole new roof. Well I ended up replacing the whole roof instead of patching here and there. Might as well get it out the way now. Cost me 6300.00 dollars. So I should be set for another 15 years or so. Haven't had time to update.
    Been very busy at home and at work.
    I would like to thank you guys for your comments and your help. Like I said before
    This website is very very helpful. I think every homeowner should be a member.
    Thanks again guys. You guys are the best. Wish everyone best of health. Good bye for now. :)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 22, 2015, 05:30 PM
    Anyhting over $1000, espcially here in Chitown, deserves 3 bids
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 22, 2015, 05:33 PM
    I agree, but it is done now, and 15 years on a flat roof? I guess it depends on how they did it, did they tear off the old roof, replace any of the underlying boards that may have went bad?

But yes flat roofs can be patched and patches can last several years depending on where the leakage is coming from

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chimney or Roof Leak? [ 4 Answers ]

I have recently acquired a mid-terraced house with a brick chimney. My next-door neighbour has advised me that he has damp/water running down his upstairs wall, and he claims that a builder/roofer has advised him that my chimney is leaking. However, I have no water/damp on the walls or...

Screen Room roof leak [ 2 Answers ]

I have a two year old screen roof that has a insulated roof system. Since this roof faces the east in the hot Florida sun there is plenty of expansion and contraction. The room continues to leak each time it rains. It has been suggested that due to the pitch of that roll roofing be applied to...

Flat Roof Leak [ 8 Answers ]

I just discovered a relatively small leak in my asphalt roll flat roof. From what I can ascertain, it seems like there must be a break in the flashing around the house's main stack (3" cast iron), allowing a small amount of water to trickle in and run straight down the stack and into the attic. If...

Have roof leak can't find leak [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is jeff and my question is how can I find where my roof is leaking from. The leak is on my camper front. The roof is rubber and I have looked at all corners and edges. The inside corner is rotted out I am going to have to replace the wall in the corner. I was hoping to find the leak...

Roof leak via furnace vent [ 1 Answers ]

Roof related but no roof section so... Just had a NEW roof installed and with heavy rain decided to check for leaks. I noticed water dripping from the roof down the furnace ventilator pipe. The rain was heavy. (1) Is this normal or an issue? (2) Is this something the roof builder created...

View more questions Search