Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dfbunton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2015, 02:56 PM
    I need to add a common wire to a 2 wire furnace
    My furnace is wired with a 2 wire thermostat. I need to add/run a common (c) wire to my new wifi thermostat (currently running off batteries).
    bitters Posts: 348, Reputation: 12

Jan 16, 2015, 04:27 PM
    The easy part is finding the common, the hard part is getting a wire to the stat. What is the make and model number on the furnace?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2015, 09:14 PM
    See how many conductors are in the T'stat wire. If only 2, you will need to run a 3. If you are lucky, you may be able to tie the two together and pull back, lots of time the low voltage wires are not nailed onto the studs.
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2015, 09:53 AM
    Silly question but why not just run it on batteries. I have 4 thermostats & they all run on batteries which I need to change ever 2-3 years. Nearly all digital thermostats have built in freeze protection which, in case the batteries go dead, will hold the heat at 40-45*.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to add a "c" wire to a old 2 wire (only no common) furnace [ 0 Answers ]

Hi I have a honeywell R8184g1286 burner/controller and it only has 2 T terminals that go to the thermostat, the other 2 connecters are for the flame sensor, I am trying to hook up a wifi honeywell thermostat. Can I just add a wire to one of the terminals for the common?...

220 third wire common or ground -- with 3 wire system? [ 1 Answers ]

Help - I want to be sure to get this correct. I am replacing my 100 Amp sub-panel in our In-Law quarters. The sub-panel is being feed by a 4 wire system and common and ground in Sub-panel box are not connected. Does the 3rd wire for 3 wire stove, hot water heater, etc go to the ground lug or the...

How can I add a common "C" wire? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Miller furnace CMF80-PO and I would like to add a common 'C' wire for my new 3M-50 thermostat. Only 4 screws, T1(RH) T2(W) and the other two are F1 and F2. It don't have the regular code letters, it got 2 wires connected to those (yellow wires). I wondering if 1 of those wires could be use...

Common wire in furnace [ 1 Answers ]

I had a furnace "expert" come in because I kept blowing a fuse in the furnace. He by passed a common wire. The furnace is an American Standard and it is brand new. It is an electric furnace. I only run it about 3 to 4 hours per day. I received my first power bill it was extremely high. I was...

Add a common wire to a new thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

I have decided to purchase a Robertshaw thermostat model 9701i2 that requires a common wire for continuous backlighting and my Trane Air Handler model 2tee3f37b1000a does not have a "C" common on the terminal wiring block. My existing thermostat is a straight forward RC, W, Y, and G 4-wire setup. I...

View more questions Search