Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lola1015 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2015, 08:34 AM
    Mgr discussing employee info with others
    I gave my 2 week notice to manager 1 week ago. No response from mngt. I have found out through another employee during her evaluation that they were asking her if she knew where and why I was leaving and other information about me. Isn't this against the law??
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 15, 2015, 08:35 AM
    It may not be very professional, but it's not against the law.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 15, 2015, 09:17 AM
    Nope, there is no law against asking either you or other employees. Why would you think there would be?

Now they can't compel you or another employee to answer the question, but nothing illegal about asking.

I would also agree with J_9 that it may not be very professional. However, depending on your position in the company, it may be a matter of interest. For example if you are in a sales position and are going to a competitor, they may want to protect themselves from you poaching customers.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 15, 2015, 09:55 AM
    Where you are going and why might simply be curiosity, and you are your fellow employees are free to refuse to answer.
    But what were the other questions about you?

Is there any chance that they might wish you would stay? Many companies don't give raises unless asked, or they drag them out as far as they can. (And a recent study showed that men ask for raises many times more often than women do... possibly a reason why women still lag in wages and salaries.)

There is also a review of managers, don't forget, and a manager who loses a high number of employees can get fired or demoted, or at least not get a raise. So if your manager is losing a lot of you, that may be a reason to ask why you are leaving. If wanting a raise or not liking the manager are reasons for you, say so!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Discussing religion [ 24 Answers ]

Why does a seemingly innocent conversation about religious beliefs so often turn into an argument or fight, and sometimes even deteriorate into name-calling, postering, etc? Most religions follow some version of the Golden Rule, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". Why then is it so...

Mobile home park mgr forbids me to have my dog [ 4 Answers ]

I just received I suppose my 3rd 7 day notice to get rid of my dog. Other people have dogs including her. She says my dog tried to attack the mailman, but all I saw was the mailman trying to kick my dog and my dog barking at him about 2 ft away from him. I think it was a setup because the...

We have an employee that has patient info and billing info in our server - Violation? [ 1 Answers ]

We have a past employee that has patient files and billing info on our server. She worked part time for an outside doctor and his info is contained on our records. We have purged them and notified the docotr, but she intercepts emails. Do we have a violation that we should be concerned about?

View more questions Search