Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hippiefeet Posts: 60, Reputation: 4

Jan 13, 2015, 10:28 AM
    1998 cavalier engine starting issue... runs good
    The 2.2L engine has trouble starting. Runs good after start. Check engine light codes p0342 & p0335. Symptoms are random... backfire from intake, engine shakes and binds and will not turn over, sounds of free spinning after normal cranking for 2 seconds. Replaced crank sensor and still getting crank code. Thanks for reading.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2015, 11:46 AM
    Could be the Cam sensor, can trip both in the codes. There is the possibility that the timing is off. Have there been any other major repairs recently?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2015, 12:44 PM
    No choice but to replace the camshaft sensor too.

Jan 13, 2015, 02:30 PM
    There hasn't been any other repairs lately. Its just gradually been getting worse over a period of about a year. Considering the age and mileage of the car I would favor replacing the sensor, but something is nagging me to check the timing chain. Could there be a problem with the chain tensioner... if it even has one?
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2015, 04:01 PM
    It has a timing chain and tensioner, but I would start by replacing the camshaft sensor and go from there.

Jan 19, 2015, 09:54 AM
    Ive been searching around the internet for bad cam sensor symptoms and everyone I read claims issues of the vehicle stalling or having problems while idling/driving. My car does not show any symptoms after started. Just trouble starting. This may be a separate issue but the starter is free spinning more and more and does not engage the flywheel... added to the original issue of the engine light, intake backfire and binding. Can the starter motor be related to a timing issue?
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2015, 09:58 AM
    Sounds like you need a new starter motor. The starter motor is not related to any timing issue.

Jan 19, 2015, 10:06 AM
    I thought it might be a safety mechanism to prevent engine harm but I doubt that exists in any car. What do you think about the cam sensor/engine code issue?
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2015, 10:33 AM
    If you think the car is worth it, I would replace the starter motor and the Camshaft Position Sensor (you had a code thrown for it).

Jul 25, 2015, 07:52 PM
    Turned out to be the starter... seems it was too weak and caused the engine to turn back on it self and throw the codes... what a confusing issue.
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2015, 06:08 AM
    Good job!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1993 Honda Accord 2.2 engine runs good, shut it off and it won't start for 10 minutes. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1993 accord 2.2 engine. It runs good,but won't always start when you shut it off . It takes about 10-15 minutes then it will start and run fine. I replaced the distributer and it still does this. It has spark also when in this condition.

1998 cavalier overheating [ 1 Answers ]

I drove it for 5 miles without getting hot. Parked it with the engine running, the temperature slowly rose to about 3/4 on the temp gauge. The fan never came on, I tried turning the air on to see if the fan would kick on and it did not work. The coolant started boiling in the reservoir tank...

Check engine light 1998 chevy cavalier p1133 [ 1 Answers ]

p1133 manufacturer control fuel air metering

Craftsman tractor engine runs good but no power to move [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman tractor 42in deck hydrostatic, while cutting the lawn the other day I was going up a slight incline(that I always mow) and the tractor lost its power to go forward essentially. It rolled down hill and actually tipped over. Now when I start the tractor the engine is fine but it...

1998 cavalier engine light [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1998 chevy cavalier with 120,000 miles on it. I need to have the stabililzer link fixed, however it's been over a month and I have not had it done yet. This morning, my check engine light came on and stayed on. This has not happened in about a year or so and it turned out to be...

View more questions Search