Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    UpComingMommy96 Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2015, 03:36 PM
    Lack of Breast Milk?
    My son was born Dec, 19th of 2014.
    I use formula and breast milk but here lately my breast milk hasn't been satisfying him (GETTING HIM FULL) so i pumped them and there only producing 1 ounce together?
    I'm eating oatmeal and other fruits but its still not making a difference. what can i do to produce more and what could i be doing wrong?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 12, 2015, 05:16 PM
    In order for you to produce more milk you have to nurse exclusively. If you're doing half breast milk and half formula, your body will only produce what it's trained to produce. Your body learns how much milk to produce based on how often your baby feeds. The less you nurse, the less milk you'll have.

Now there are some women that never produce enough milk to sustain baby. But based on what you posted I don't think that's the case.

Why are you doing half and half?

At this point I'd nurse more than bottle feed with formula, that should increase your breast milk. Also pump whenever you give baby a bottle, so that your body is still producing milk for that feeding.

Good luck and congrats. Breastfeeding can be difficult, but it's well worth it. :)
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2015, 07:21 PM
    Alty gave you excellent advice. I'll just add that it is important to remember that pumping can not be used to measure what you are able to produce. Some women find they can express a great deal, in a relatively short period, others not much at all, thinking that it is proof of low production. Baby is almost always much better at moving the milk than pumping will be. What sort of pump are you using? Some pumps work better than others for different women.

What is causing you to think that he isn't getting his fill at the breast? How often are you nursing and how often offering formula in a 24 hour period? What sort of output are you getting? Is he generally content between feelings?

If he is wanting to eat more frequently then before, it is possibly due to a growth spurt. You will go through several of these in the first year, and they can make you think that he isn't getting enough, but he would actually be trying to build your supply. Frequent feeds will boost your supply, as Alty said.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 12, 2015, 07:30 PM
    I agree with Doula. I do want to add a bit about breast pumps. With my son I bought a $60 breast pump at Walmart, state of the art, high accolades, supposed to be the best of the best. It was electric. I would be luck to get a few drops.

At 2 months I was in extreme pain, thinking that it was just my body getting used to breastfeeding. But it was constant from the beginning and when my breast started to bleed, and my son started to scream when nursing, I went to the doctor. Found out we both had thrush, so he gave us medication, and sent me to a lactation expert at the hospital. There she gave me a manual pump, brand name Madela. OMG! What a difference! It cost me $15, and with it I got a bottle or more each time I pumped.

The type of breast pump used can make all the different, it really can. Avent is also a good brand, and I highly recommend it as well, I used it for my second child.
    UpComingMommy96 Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2015, 01:49 AM
    I use a Medela self hand pump with the bottle that comes with it and everything i only produce half an ounce on each boob if that sometimes iv'e been using Gerber gentle supplement formula for him and he just spits every bit of it up. he'll eat two ounces of the formula which is two ounces of baby water and one scoop of formula and he'll be hungry an hour or half an hour later and sometimes won't burp even after a 10 minute pat on the back. Then if i give him four ounces of baby water and two scoops of formula he pukes it all up in one burp like the exorcist and spit up for an hour straight or until his next feeding and when i feed him the breast milk off my boob he burps afterwards but he also spits it up too. my friend said try to supplement his formula with simulac formula but my wic gave me 6 can and i got all 6 of them and can't get no more until i go back up there for more wic and that won't be until next month on the 6th. i don't work yet so i don't have any money to buy him there like $20.00 each. it just don't make sense to me...
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 14, 2015, 05:28 AM
    It's possible he may be tongue tied, thus not suckling at the breast well.

If you aren't, you need to burp him frequently during feedings. Not just ate the end of the feeding, but several times throughout. Make sure you are feeding him while he is in a sitting position and keep him in a sitting position for around 30 minutes after feeding. If this fails to give any results it's possible he may need a soy based formula.

With all of this said, you should always voice concerns like this with your pediatrician.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2015, 04:28 PM
    What has his weight gain been like? What does he weigh now? Is he usually pretty content or most often fussy? When he does breastfeed, does he have a good amount of breast tissue in his mouth or mostly just on the nipple?

Best not to mix formulas or even switch unless recommended by baby's doctor.

As J_9 said, try burping him more frequently, try after each ounce. And between breasts when breastfeeding. Be careful not too over feed, watch for cues that he has had enough. Resist the urge to have him finish off the last bit if you can tell he isn't really interested.

If you want to be able to breastfeed more, you'll have to do exactly that. Always offer the breast first. Try to use both breasts at each feeding. Let him have his fill on the first, then offer the second. He likely won't take it as long, that's okay, just start on that side at the next feeding. Offer the breast about every 2-3 hours... if he seems hungry after an hour and a half, offer the breast again. Limit the formula to just now and then, maybe an ounce after a few of the breastfeedings if you feel he still needs more, but it shouldn't take the place of a breastfeeding... instead, if you need to offer the formula, be sure to use the breastpump for awhile afterwards.

Youll know now that he is getting enough breastmilk if he gains weight, has a good number of wet and dirty diapers, seems pretty content in between feeds.

Check with the nurse at WIC, your OB or midwife, contact where you gave birth... ask about having a meeting with a lactation consultant/counselor. It sometimes is free, especially if they have them where you gave birth. You might also enjoy and find it helpful, to ask about meetings of breastfeeding, or new, mothers. Your local hospital or WIC should be able to provide some information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breast producing milk after year and a half of giving birth never breast feed. [ 1 Answers ]

While I was pregnant I went to doctors about a lump in my right breast he said it was calcium build up. I'm just wondering if this could have anything to do with whatever it is that squirts from my nipples when pressed. I never breast feed but I did have a hard and long labour of 42 hours first...

Breast Milk [ 3 Answers ]

I had an intercourse with my husband accidentally. But I am still feeding my baby who is 12 months old. I have underwent Tubal ligation surgery for not having babies anymore. Can you please let me know if I can feed the baby? Will the milk get spoiled?

Why do I still have Breast milk? [ 1 Answers ]

My son is 29 months old and I stopped breast feeding him at 6 months old. I still have breast milk how do I get rid of it. Its embarrassing :(

Breast Milk [ 26 Answers ]

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me? I'm 30 and have never been pregnant, I stopped taking my pill in March this year. The first day of my last period was 16 days ago, for the last week I have had incredile soreness and tenderness in my breasts and they have started leaking what seems to be a...

Got Breast Milk? [ 2 Answers ]

This is a little embarrassing. My boobies are feeling heavy and swoll up. Im also leaking fluid from them. There is no way that I am pregnant because I have not been sexually active in 3 years. My children are both also 5 and 6 years old. Is this my body trying to tell me something? Maybe Im...

View more questions Search